Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   Florida Test Ride with Pumper Carb (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/florida-test-ride-pumper-carb-8665/)

Marty 12-17-2006 04:53 AM

Florida Test Ride with Pumper Carb

Let me start out by saying I finally had some time to play this evening. After teaching all day, I stopped at a shop on the way home and picked up some jets. Bill Blue had sent me a 130 and a 132.5, but I didn't think it was worth the uninstall / disassembly / install time to give them a try. So I stopped by and picked up a 135, 137.5, 140, 142.5, 145, 147.5 and a 150. I was prepared to tackle the action.

After reading the posts by Tremor38, who has basically the same carb as I do, but a fancy spray bar, I kind of went close to where he did, well kinda almost. Let me explain.

Yesterday, I received a new air filter in the mail. It is a Twin-Air "Backfire" filter for the Yamaha YZ450F. Thank you StainlessTT ! It fits likea glove and my bike no longer has the backfire screen - what a job removing that - more later.

Well, I got the devining rods out, the Ouija board and started thinking, "H'mmm, let's see, the stock CVK jet is a 118 and you were running a 128 and it ran quite well with the big snorkle and airbox lid on. So, I chose a 137.5, put it in the carb, put the bike back together and took it for a ride.

[sm=happy046.gif][sm=happy046.gif][sm=happy046.gif][sm=happy046.gif][sm=happy046.gif][sm=happy046.gif]

Man, I simply love it when it comes pretty close on the first attempt!

I rode the bike nice and easy until operating temps came up and then I was rolling along at 2500 rpm in 2nd gear and just rolled the throttle wide open. There was no hesitation, no bog, no backfire or anything else, just nice strong pull right up to redline! I'm stoked.

To say that I am elated would be an understatement. The bike is just a whole new beast that resonds to your right hand, immediately.

Of course the best part about it is there is still more to go!

Here's what I did - bought a carb at Ron Ayers. The part number is 13200-14D03. The cost was $263.40. Then I shipped it to Bill Blue - email address: b_jblue@sbcglobal.net where it was modified to look to the KLX250 like the stock CVK34. The length is the same, the ends are the same, heck Bill even made the adaptors to have the same groove that the CVK34 has. Then he mods the linkage so it will fit without cuting, whacking nor hacking on your frame. It is a true "bolt-in" application.

I think if you ask Bill to put a different jet in the carb, he will do that. Then all you need to do is put it in, turn it on and have fun!

[sm=happy046.gif][sm=happy046.gif][sm=happy046.gif][sm=happy046.gif][sm=happy046.gif][sm=happy046.gif]

I think I'm going back out and do some riding.

I would like to have Sullydirt or Jellfish come over, take the bike for a ride and let y'all hear from them what their impression of the bike is now!

DirtSurfer 12-17-2006 05:05 AM

RE: Florida Test Ride with Pumper Carb

Marty, thats great Man, wish I was going to the Florida ride in January soI could try that out!!!

What did Bill Blue charge you to get the carb matched up to the CVK34?

Nobrakes 12-17-2006 05:26 AM

Good job, Marty.

I'm still intrigued by the backfire screen and backfire retardant foam filter. Did you order your filter direct from the Twin-Air web site or from somewhere else?

Marty 12-17-2006 05:40 AM

After hearing StainlessTT's tale about putting a filter into his KLX250S from a YZ450F, I saw that Twin-Air puts out a "Backfire Filter" for that application.

So, I found one http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...mp;Style=12758and ordered it.

When I tried it, I found it fit satisfactorily. Then I removed the screen with the backfire filter and cut all the screen off of the assembly and reinstalled it. Then I put on the Twin-Air filter, made a choice on the jet and put it all together.

Right now, I'm quite elated with the results.

Hey, it might add a tenth of a horse here, 2 tenths with something else, a half horse here and so on. But when you add all the bits up, it more power!

Of course, like you, there is more development planned. Just cooling my heels for right now and saving up for Phase III and perhaps Phase IV. We shall see!

More to follow.

Nobrakes 12-17-2006 06:10 AM

Thanks for the link, Marty (and Stainless). I'm going to do that one. As much effort as we go to to flow more air, removing the screen seems like one of the more effective mods and given that there is a backfire retardant filter available there's not much actual risk.

But just in case, anyone know of a tiny little fire extinguisher that will fit in a fanny pack? :D:D

YYY.GUY 12-17-2006 06:48 AM

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

But just in case, anyone know of a tiny little fire extinguisher that will fit in a fanny pack? :D:D
Not exactly what you had in mind, but I'm sure it couldn't hurt ...

http://www.4naturalhealing.com/image...s-stop-gas.jpg

YYY.GUY 12-17-2006 07:00 AM

Good "trail blazing", Marty!

So the 137.5 main jet was your starting point. Are there other settings that you're going to tweak a bit, like on the CVK (e.g. needle, needle clip setting, pilot jet, air screw, etc.), or do you think the main jet needs a bump up/down before tweaking theother stuff?

The TwinAir backfire filter sounds like a winner also. When you said it fit satisfactory, that's probably because its not exactly round, right? (I believe Stainless said it was mostly round, but had to be inserted so the logo was at a 45 degree angle) Other than that, were there any other fit issues?

BTW - My credit card wouldprefer if you and Brian DON'T figure out what Phase V might be! (Well, at least until all the Christmas bills are taken care of, anyway!!!)

jellyfish 12-17-2006 07:56 AM

think I'm going back out and do some riding.

I would like to have Sullydirt or Jellfish come over, take the bike for a ride and let y'all hear from them what their impression of the bike is now!

Pm me phone#. I had stomach virus no food all day kinda weak. Sunday if I feel better will go..
c-ya

Nobrakes 12-17-2006 08:13 AM

ORIGINAL: YYY.GUY
BTW - My credit card would prefer if you and Brian DON'T figure out what Phase V might be! (Well, at least until all the Christmas bills are taken care of, anyway!!!)
Phase V = KLX450R :D

Marty 12-17-2006 10:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

ORIGINAL: YYY.GUY
BTW - My credit card wouldprefer if you and Brian DON'T figure out what Phase V might be! (Well, at least until all the Christmas bills are taken care of, anyway!!!)
Phase V = KLX450R :D

Actually, I thought KLX450S or KLX450SM!

But to be perfectly honest, the KLX250 is a fine piece of work and with the added zip in it's step right now, I'm getting happier with it.

I've been running some gravel roads up in North Carolina with a bunch of KLR650 guys. What they can do to me on the paved roads, I can do the same off road. The KLX is a bike that is worthy!

I hope for my birthday to find a KLX331 kit in a package!