First ride of the season, and first ride on 13 tooth sprocket

Old 02-27-2013, 03:35 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Bill, nice to read about somebody riding. I swear its been 4 months since I even started my KLX...tabs are expired.....but at least I've kept it on the battery maintainer. I just can't seem to get motivated. Back in the day I would post up a ride report once a week and now..... But I did get tabs for the Honda 1300, but I guess I should have got the KLX on the road first. The wife's bike hasn't been licensed for 2 years...ohhhh so many bikes ...so little money

Old 02-27-2013, 07:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks deej! It had been at least 3 months since mine had been cranked. I hadn't put it on a battery minder, but it fired right up no problem. One nice thing about being carbureted is no computer to draw the battery down when it sits.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
KLX...tabs are expired.. But I did get tabs for the Honda 1300,
What????!!!!

Turn in your KLX card Deej.

That's just wrong

Old 02-28-2013, 03:26 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
What????!!!!

Turn in your KLX card Deej.

That's just wrong
I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-01-2013, 03:58 AM
1st Gear Member

On my bike the fastest I've seen with stock gears is low 90s and with the 13 on the front it wil run an indicated 82 or so. On my bike there sure is a top speed difference between the two sprockets and for my needs stock is best. If I was to gear it for serious off road I go back to it and bigger in the rear also but at my age I just don't hit the trails like I used to. Also I understand that indicated and real speed is not the same.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by linkin5
On my bike the fastest I've seen with stock gears is low 90s and with the 13 on the front it wil run an indicated 82 or so. On my bike there sure is a top speed difference between the two sprockets and for my needs stock is best. If I was to gear it for serious off road I go back to it and bigger in the rear also but at my age I just don't hit the trails like I used to. Also I understand that indicated and real speed is not the same.
Wow that's slow

Old 03-01-2013, 04:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
Wow that's slow
Slow perhaps, but not exceptionally so for the KLX. At least it's still faster than the scooter your buddy was bugging you about recently.

I have never been able to exceed 136km/h (85 mph) on the KLX, regardless of final drive gearing. In fact, when faced with an incline and headwind, my little KLX gets ground down to as low as 80km/h (50mph) in top gear WOT.

If you want to go fast on freeway pavement, the KLX isn't the machine.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by go cytocis
Slow perhaps, but not exceptionally so for the KLX. At least it's still faster than the scooter your buddy was bugging you about recently.

I have never been able to exceed 136km/h (85 mph) on the KLX, regardless of final drive gearing. In fact, when faced with an incline and headwind, my little KLX gets ground down to as low as 80km/h (50mph) in top gear WOT.

I got 94 indicated so about 84 in 6th in wind with small incline, had more to go but wastakig forever. He's sayin he can only get 82 indicated, which is 70mph wide open in 6th gear!!! Thats slow even for this bike

Old 03-02-2013, 01:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by go cytocis
+1. I have a 695 Monster for that. Basically, it's the street version of a KLX. Small, somewhat underpowered, and a blast to ride.

My KLX will soon be sporting a 47 tooth rear to go with the 13 tooth front, and I might even go bigger than the 47, after I get some seat time with this setup. I can't wait to try it. Just going from 14/42 to 13/42 was a huge improvement for me.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rooster
+1. I have a 695 Monster for that. Basically, it's the street version of a KLX. Small, somewhat underpowered, and a blast to ride.
At risk of getting off topic, one of the members of my regular street riding crew is on a 695 so I'm well familiar with it. It's sure no slouch in the twisties! She has just bought a BMW 650GS so now she'll also be able to join us off road too!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First ride of the season, and first ride on 13 tooth sprocket