First gear gone ?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 01:27 AM
1st Gear Member
Default First gear gone ?????

Anybody lose first gear only?

So about halfway through the first lap of the Zwingle IA hare scramble this weekend ( https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=34222 ), I realize that I can no longer shift the bike down into first gear. It shifts up and down through the other gears fine, just no first gear. The shifter moves smoothly and doesn’t make any funny noises. I’m sure whatever happened was the result of a get off. I dropped the bike quite a few times, but nothing extreme until after the shifter took a crap. Two pretty good hits after shifter quit working but not on the shifter side. ( I am also taking recommendations for aftermarket replacement front fenders and headlight assemblies )
I’m sure this shifting problem is going to be at least a taking the side cover off project, unless for some reason I find something obvious on the outside of the bike. I’m just wondering if anybody else has had this specific problem and if so what did you find. I searched but didn’t find much. I’m hoping that I don’t have to dig any deeper than just the side cover.
I need to quit breaking things.
Dan

Old 11-19-2010, 02:39 AM
1st Gear Member

90% chance its the shift star. remove your shifter, then the cover to check.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:43 AM
1st Gear Member

I have bent shifters so badly, that they hit something physical, on the outside of the bike, preventing the range of motion that is needed to get first gear to engage. Check to make sure it's not a physical, outer obstruction before digging into the case. BTW, I've not done this on the KLX. Yet.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
I have bent shifters so badly, that they hit something physical, on the outside of the bike, preventing the range of motion that is needed to get first gear to engage. Check to make sure it's not a physical, outer obstruction before digging into the case. BTW, I've not done this on the KLX. Yet.
That was my first thought.
But thinking about it, that would probably affect all down shifts.

Not sure about this one Dan. Bent selector shaft maybe.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by neilaction
That was my first thought.
But thinking about it, that would probably affect all down shifts.

Oh, if it's bent enough, and hitting something, it will affect all downshifts. But, twice now, on a KLR, I've had it bent just enough that the only downshift that wouldn't complete was going into first. I'm assuming it could happen the same way on the KLX. Well, I'm HOPING for his sake, that this could be what happened.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:08 PM
1st Gear Member

The distance on the shift star is larger between 1st and 2nd compared to the rest of the shifts........it has to pass through neutral. Check the shift lever first and then the alignment pins on the back of the shift star.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 11-20-2010, 12:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks you guys. The shift lever has no obstruction on the exterior of the bike. I have been there done that , I checked for any obstruction out on the course. I washed the bike off and got it down into the basement today, so maybe this weekend I will get the first cover off. I'm hopeful that I find the problem there and the damage is not any farther in.

Dan

Old 11-20-2010, 09:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Good news. It's the pin that limits the shift fork travel up and down. Shift lever must have been forced up and slammed into this pin, bending it upwards some. Once bent the pin didn't allow the shift fork to travel downwards enough to get far enough across the flat spot where neutral is located on the shift star.
$6 part at bike bandit $7 shipping

Dirt really packs inbetween the rubber and sprocket. I cut the rubber off after taking this pic.
Name:  IMG_7521.jpg
Views: 1395
Size:  45.5 KB

Name:  IMG_7517.jpg
Views: 1408
Size:  69.6 KB

clean the area up before opening the engine up.
Name:  IMG_7519.jpg
Views: 1449
Size:  60.5 KB

at first glance everything looks ok
Name:  IMG_7520.jpg
Views: 3160
Size:  70.8 KB

Bent pin is in the center of the shot.
Name:  IMG_7525.jpg
Views: 1388
Size:  46.3 KB

not allowing shift fork to travel down enough.
Name:  IMG_7526.jpg
Views: 1343
Size:  39.4 KB

bent pin, engine casing looks ok, glad that wasn't cracked.
Name:  IMG_7528.jpg
Views: 2713
Size:  62.9 KB

Name:  IMG_7530.jpg
Views: 1352
Size:  47.9 KB

Old 11-20-2010, 09:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice Picture, thanks

Old 11-20-2010, 09:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Very clear Dan, and one to remember.