Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   First Ever Forum Post. (So you know it's important) (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/first-ever-forum-post-so-you-know-its-important-46425/)

John Heffner 04-16-2019 02:58 PM

First Ever Forum Post. (So you know it's important)

2006 KLX 250S.
I need to know everything about the operating system of this machine!
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Where do I find:
-shop manual (or a good parts manual)
-full parts list
-recommendations
-destination suggestions
-entry level racing recommendations

Literally starving for information.
Fuel air mix help
Good gear
Anything at all!

Verwah 04-16-2019 03:03 PM

Dive into the forums! All the information you are looking for is within these pages.

If you want to prioritize the list, it would be easier to approach your questions in order of importance.

Online parts list with image reference

A shop manual for this bike is very hard to come by. (Might not exist?) But there is a digital version you will find if you search for it.

John Heffner 04-16-2019 03:16 PM

Thank you for your help!
The bike starts and idles smoothly,
but when I throttle it, it bogs and dies.

Abramsgunner 04-16-2019 03:22 PM

Yes, everything you need is here.

Here is the best way I found to approach my new-to-me '09 a couple years ago...

1.) Spend some time with the FAQ... most of the good stuff is linked there...
2.) Once you have digested the FAQ, search for your specific questions.. someone has asked before...
3.) Come back and asked the brain trust for specific answers to things you could not find elsewhere.

I've been reading old posts here for two years or so, and still find something new to me almost every time I dig in.

Verwah 04-16-2019 03:33 PM

There are three circuits in our carburetors. The starter, or enrichener circuit. The idle circuit and the high-speed circuit.

Assuming the bike is stock and not tampered with previously:

If your bike starts and idles fine, then the orifices related to that circuit are operating properly. That would be the pilot jet. If it has issues getting up to the high-speed circuit on throttle, that orifice has the problem. In this case its the needle and the main jet. Your needle could be stuck, or the main jet could be clogged. If the bike has been tampered with in the past, its also possible the main jet is too big.

The best solution is to take the carburetor out of the bike and clean it.

John Heffner 04-16-2019 04:11 PM

Thank you!
Thank you!
Thank you!

IDRIDR 04-16-2019 04:58 PM

Welcome aboard, John.
Congrats on finding a 2006. I picked my '06 up about 8 years ago from an 80 year old rider. Pristine, it was.
As mentioned above, something isn't well with your carb. It likely needs cleaned.
The FAQs are linked in my sig line. There's a lot to digest in there!
Where are you located? You may want to enter that in your profile. Location helps us help you.

Cheers!

dpippin 04-17-2019 01:31 PM

You can find lots of information here;

KLX250S Home Page

Originally Posted by John Heffner (Post 545858)
2006 KLX 250S.
I need to know everything about the operating system of this machine!
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Where do I find:
-shop manual (or a good parts manual)
-full parts list
-recommendations
-destination suggestions
-entry level racing recommendations

Literally starving for information.
Fuel air mix help
Good gear
Anything at all!

jhampshire 05-15-2019 03:40 PM

John, Although your issue sounds like a clogged main jet, I had a similar problem with my 2012 with only 3000 miles. Turns out that when I cleaned and oiled the air filter I didn't squeeze out the foam oil enough. The longer I rode it the worse it got. Finally I caught on and redid the filter foam. The runs really well now. As a result, it takes quite a bit of choke (enricher) to start and is slow to warm up, but after warmed up it runs fine. Took her out to 78 GPS MPH, (88 indicated) on a level road with a slight headwind. The week before I could barely make 65 MPH. I learn the hard way!

dogmeat 05-20-2019 07:07 PM

ya still out there? you know the stock carb is lean and the bike is cold blooded as hell. until modified, it has to warm up quite a bit before it will take throttle. some bikes take a couple minutes before it can be driven without choke. especially if its cold out