Dual sports= moped

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 08:04 PM
1st Gear Member

I started riding on an '88 Yammie DT175. That thing, with all 12 metric hp, took me everywhere I wanted to go from long highway rides to rock steps to mud to single-track and everything in between. To speed was 120kph and 220km fuel range (to DRY ... yes I did it and had to push it home on the highway). There's no way it'd carry my fat *** now but I still miss that little bike. Good times! I learned them not to look down on anyone riding anything, at least they're actually ON a bike and not another monkey in a cage!

Old 01-30-2013, 08:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Ahhh, .. . .scooters. My first two wheeler was a Whizzer motorbike which I rode til I realized I needed a scooter. It didn't matter that the scooter was ugly and was slower, it had a rear seat. Rear seat = Girl! I was about 10 and still have many fond memories of scooters.

Mine was something like this:

Yeah, I'm dating myself, who cares!

Tom
Oriental, NC

Old 01-31-2013, 02:58 AM
1st Gear Member

My friends say this to me all the time they do it just to bust my *****, but I know they are actually jealous because all they are limited to 4 wheels. It bothered me at first, now I just laugh with them because I know how much fun my sf is. With that being said I would like a bigger bike now that I've been riding for a few years. KTM 690 enduro R is first on my list after I graduate college!

Old 01-31-2013, 03:15 AM
1st Gear Member

My first bike was a Yamaha FS1E (50cc moped) back in 1985 & was capable of 47mph!! The local back street mechanic sold me a Yamaha YB100 engine for $150 & fitted it for free. The engine looked identical & went very fast for a moped. It was geared for acceleration & wheelies but could easily hit 65mph. Great fun little stealth bike, which would give most four stroke 125's & 250's a run for their money on the city streets....back in the day.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:55 AM
1st Gear Member

I cant imagine wheeling on a scooter, must be terrifying haha

Old 02-01-2013, 07:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Imagine taking a curve at 50mph with 10" tires and a marginal suspension. Good times...

Old 02-01-2013, 01:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Someone just told me I must be very secure in my manhood to ride a 250 "girls" bike.
I told him he was more than welcome to show me why it's a girls bike, if he could get it up and down my icy driveway, he declined and stopped his asinine commentary.
I was really hoping he would teach me a trick, but mostly I just wanted him to crash and then try and pick it up.
If it's got 2 wheels good for you. I cut my off-road teeth on a moped. It was a hoot and a half.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Ive been asked when i was going to get an "adult" bike... When im just as good if not better and faster then most on KTM or Husabergs... Im love my KLX and it goes anywhere and its capabilities still out weight my skill. Too many guys try to buy an awesome bike to compensate for lack of riding skill.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
Someone just told me I must be very secure in my manhood to ride a 250 "girls" bike.
I'd take that as a compliment if I were you MP!
I took similar ribbing from a group of Harley guys at a gas station on a road in the mountains last summer. They took off ahead of me and it was with the delight of a little girl that I caught up and passed them all. *Perhaps it IS a 'girls' bike afterall!

Old 02-01-2013, 05:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, my fiance's grandpa made fun of me for wanting a dual sport because they are unreliable and I'd be picking parts off the road (yes he owns a harley ) Then when I get the bike and ride around with him I told him I'd do a big bore kit to get more power, to which he replied "no just get yourself a 650 or a real bike, this 450 barely has enough power to keep up with me" to which I replied "It's a 250 and I passed you twice". Needless to say he left the room

Quick Reply: Dual sports= moped