Digital speedo not working KLX250E

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Smile Digital speedo not working KLX250E

Hello everybody first time poster so be gentle with me! I'm in the UK and the proud owner of a grey/parallel/jap import i.e not uk/european spec 1998 KLX250e.
The bike is fitted with a digital speedo which try as i might i can't seem to get working. We have power at clock end, no broken wires between dash and drive, where do i need to look. Have tried searching forums but haven't seen anything mentioned about a speedo like this i'm pretty sure it must be factory fitted, but any workshop manuals i have looked in don't mention it! help please.
Thanks I know someone out there must have one the same.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forum. A 98 250E parallel. I"m assuming this is a parallel twin. With a digital dash, wow a rarety if not unobtanium in North America. What kind of drive(pickup) does it have for the speedo if it's magnetic maybe just needs a good cleaning. Just guessing.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:00 PM

Thank oldphart, it is rarety overhere too it has usd forks, really neat indicators and black and blue plastics infact i don't think I have seen another one like it in the uk, found a picture of one similar on the net it was in Turkey i think. Its great having a bike thats is just a wee bit different but making sure you get the right parts is a nightmare! local dealers just say Kawasaki didn't make a KLX250e. it is electric start only. Anyhow Yes it has magnetic pick up have tried cleaning it but i'll give that another go.
cheers

Old 05-07-2009, 11:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome and congrats on the new bike!!! Is there maybe a fuse that has blown? Thats where I would start...

Old 05-07-2009, 11:42 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Hate to say it but you said power at the clock, that usually means the clock. But you knew that already.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by oldphart
Welcome to the forum. A 98 250E parallel. I"m assuming this is a parallel twin. With a digital dash, wow a rarety if not unobtanium in North America. What kind of drive(pickup) does it have for the speedo if it's magnetic maybe just needs a good cleaning. Just guessing.
NO,no,no. I't the same bike as Tremor has. No twin cylinder. Parallel import is "POHM" speak for unofficial imports to the UK usually from Japan but also from other European countries. They are usually much cheaper than the officially imported bikes and on occasion make "unobtanium" models available.

I had a "grey import" Yamaha SDR200 back in the day, AKA "the whippet."

Wait for Tremor to chip in, I'm sure he'll have some resources for ya. Don't worry, we'll sort ya.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:12 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Yeah sorry the Aussie dialect and the British dialect can become confusing at times, then throw in the North American garble and all hell breaks loose. Nice Whippet by the way. Have an 81 RD350LC with 2000K on the clock all wrapped up in storage.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:31 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

That expansion chamber on that beauty looks like it would cost the same as my last divorce. But worth every penny.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Another sick bike posted up by WestOz, nice!
Howdy Scannyman. Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I will tell you that your on the right track posting the question on this forum. Put up a pic if you can, I know everybody would like to see that bike.
Dan

Old 05-08-2009, 05:03 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Damn Fu

Quick Reply: Digital speedo not working KLX250E