Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   Did the MCM today (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/did-mcm-today-42638/)

Richard Avatar 01-04-2015 08:48 AM

I took it out for a quick retest ride (after replacing the front tube..) and it seemed okay now.

4vman1 01-04-2015 01:52 PM

Now I know that this is way above my pay grade, but it has been mentioned quite a bit that the cam mod adds a bit of torque down low and signs off earlier, exactly what you don't want to bring to a dyno at wfo. Shouldn't you have at least left it in long enough to test ride it or are you primarily riding at the upper half of the tach?

Klxster 01-04-2015 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Richard Avatar (Post 517375)
I took it out for a quick retest ride (after replacing the front tube..) and it seemed okay now.

Are you saying you've been riding on a flat tire ? :confused:

klx678 01-04-2015 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by 4vman1 (Post 517379)
Now I know that this is way above my pay grade, but it has been mentioned quite a bit that the cam mod adds a bit of torque down low and signs off earlier, exactly what you don't want to bring to a dyno at wfo. Shouldn't you have at least left it in long enough to test ride it or are you primarily riding at the upper half of the tach?

Not sure if your "above my pay grade" is in reference to doing the mod, but if a rider can do the valve shimming the MCM isn't that hard with clear instructions. It is pretty straight forward, but requires meticulous attention to detail - aka being positive that the cams are positioned properly with the timing marks toward the center being 2-1/2 teeth above the surface of the head (counterclockwise for the intake cam and clockwise for the exhaust cam).

WFO on a dyno is measuring power, not about running big rpm, so it is well worth running any mod if the money is there to do so. Big inch V twins that will only rev around 6500-7500 are put on dynos, some twins are pushing triple digits at those rpm.

One last comment, based on Marcelino's dyno runs the power peaks within around 200 rpm of the stock peak, so it isn't signing off much earlier and the difference not being that noticeable, plus torque is up across the range, not just down low. The noticeable difference on top, as I think KLXter has pointed out before in other posts, is that the rise in power has emphasized the drop on the over run. That drop exists regardless.

4vman1 01-04-2015 03:31 PM

The "above my pay grade" comment was basically saying that I have not done the mod myself and so I don't really know what I'm talking about in the subject other than the few posts that I've read on here. I have installed a #190 cam in my DR650, but haven't cracked open my KLX. I guess I should have left the first sentence out and only asked if Richard should have left the mod in for a test ride before giving up on it.

IDRIDR 01-04-2015 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Klxster (Post 517372)
.. Perhaps the MCM, in fact, doesn't work on older KLX's

Was this suggested by others previously? Just curious.

Klxster 01-04-2015 04:59 PM

My research on the MCM thread found only one entry suggesting the MCM only works on '09 and up ( IIRC) .. That entry was from Jeff Ward - lets go find it..

Klxster 01-04-2015 05:08 PM

Search the MCM for jeffward posts... His english is difficult to decipher but here is the page on the MCM for you to "start crunching data" on..

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...34/#post469775

Klxster 01-04-2015 05:31 PM

I decided that jeffward's posts were too ambiguous to place merit on .. regarding MCM results on older than '09 KLX's..

If this thread is a joke, Richard, it's time to come clean.. MCM results are like it's only getting half throttle ??? Cmon..

ol'klx-er 01-04-2015 05:35 PM

Was his test run of the MCM done with a low front tire? Are some of his other runs also affected by inconsistent tire pressure?