Crash, boom, bang... repair time again!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 04:19 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Crash, boom, bang... repair time again!

Hi guys.

So I went out on a ride yesterday in the Nowra are of NSW (Australia) with a bunch of guys from another forum. Great trails along power lines, and a nice mix of dirt types. Pity it was 32C (90F) in the shade (felt like a million C with all kit on out in the blazing sun for 4 hours) and it was pretty dusty too in spite of having rain most of last week. The bike handles beautifully after I went 2 clicks out on the forks to make them a little more plush, and dropped the pressures on my D606's to 11 PSI. Although the front end wash out disappeared with these settings, I think it was just a little too soft as there was 3-5mm clean rim rather than just 2-3mm.

Anyway, on a rocky downhill section there was a succession of rock ledges about 45cm-50cm high (18"-20") that I failed to negotiate. I was going a little too slow, and my front wheel dropped into a bit of a dip and stopped dead.... but the back end carried on Needless to say I went **** over tit and the bike stood on its face before falling onto me. I might have done a rib, and the wrist and hip are a bit tender today too. But I'll heal... unlike my bike.

So the damage is:
- smashed digital speedo screen
- bent handlebars
- bent brake lever
- broken rear indicator
- a bit of cracked plastic here and there

Name:  DSC_0076small.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  91.8 KB

I'm not worried about the plastics, and have already replaced the indicators with some cheap trailer side indicators that should be less prone to breaking. Depending on cost I'll probably get a Zeta lever, but I presume any old lever should do fine?

Now with the handlebars, I am very interested in the Flexx bars (http://www.fasstco.com/products/flexx.shtml) with their damping. Do you guys know whether they fit the KLX? Do they use fat bar clamps (in which case I'll need to get some)? Does anyone have an opinion on whether they're worth the money? Also, how strong are they? My fear is that I have bent 2 sets of bars already (even tough the stock ones are weak as) and I really don't want to splash out on the Flexx bars only to bugger them up in a couple of riders.

And finally, the only real option to replace the speedo unit is one of those Trailtech Vapour units (http://www.trailtech.net/product8157.html), right? Our KLX's take the "GENERIC CONVENTIONAL FORKS - WATER-COOLED" unit's I presume? How easy are they to fit?

Any help or advice is welcome (other than "STOP FALLING OFF" )

Old 11-14-2010, 10:36 AM
1st Gear Member

That must have been a good smash to bend those bars..... you have the same bars as me and after heaps of smashes they are still as straight as when i got them.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, it was a decent crash. Some kind bastard tried to take a pic of me when I was squirming on the ground winded, but by the time he took the snap I was up on my feet nursing my ribs:

Name:  IMG_6607.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  67.6 KB

At least he got one action shot with me riding though:

Name:  IMG_6609.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  81.3 KB

Old 11-14-2010, 06:19 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Ouch man!...glad you weren't broken.

On the Vapor instrument panel, I love mine. Your question on the "conventional fork" description, I think is almost always referring to forks that have the lower portion of the fork that is attached to the axle as the "female" component...the harderned steel tube is going inside the lower and is attached to the triple clamps. USD forks are reversed in that the hardened steel tube with the axle and wheel is going up inside the female component uppers that are attached to the triple clamps. Your forks are USD, aren't they?

The Vapor unit is pretty darned cool. I think I like the exacting digital temp guage about as much as any of the other great features that the unit has.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:09 PM
1st Gear Member

well im sorry to here about the computer damage.... but about the handle bars...
i think that spending $350 on a set of handlebars, in my mind, is nt a good idea.
the vibration is not bad enough while riding to spend that much. i would just go git yerself some Renthals or ProTapers.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by thejackcutts
i think that spending $350 on a set of handlebars, in my mind, is nt a good idea.
the vibration is not bad enough while riding to spend that much. i would just go git yerself some Renthals or ProTapers.
Fair enough. I appreciate the advice. Would the fat bars be less prone to bending that the Pro Taper Universal Deuce bars I've just bent in your opinion?

Old 11-15-2010, 08:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, not being the patient type I just went ahead and ordered replacement parts last night. I decided to take you advice thejackcutts and went for some Renthal Twinwall Handlebar CR High Bend bars instead - I'm hooing the more substantial twinwall design is going to be stronger and less likely to see me needing yet another set of bars next time I inevitably fall. I also went with the Tusk Universal Big Bar Clamp Kit so I can fit the fatter bars, and Pro-Taper Pillow Top MX Grips to absorb vibrations... from what I understand they are a little thicker too which would suit me as I feel my grips are a little thin for my liking.

On the speedo front I ordered the Trail Tech Vapor Speedometer - 1997 Kawasaki KLX300 as Rockey Mountain ATV didn't have a 2010 KLX250S option, and unfortunately they seem to use their own part numbers rather than Trailtech's ones. I figured if my slip-on was a KLX300 one, then the Vapor should work too. I hope I don't regret that more

That just leaves me to get a new brake lever. Rockey RM-ATV didn't seem to have any, so I will order them elsewhere. I know the Zeta ones are supposed to be very good and fit our bikes, but what other options do I have? I like the look of these XTECH levers for the KX250F which I can pick up this weekend... will they fit my bike?
http://www.mcas.com.au/_product.php?...=2&prodid=9943 (FEATURES: * Adjustable reach for a personalised fit * Brass pivot bushing * fits KX250F/450F 00-09, KX0-250 00-09.)

Thanks again for advice.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Arctra sorry to hear about all the damage. I view it as the cost of having fun That said, I had A LOT of fun this last Sunday not sure what it is going to cost me yet
Finished off my headlight shroud with a dirt nap, and then used a combination of trees to forcibly remove the front half of my front fender. Worst of all, I can't locate first gear! That one has me worried. I'll post up a ride report about it all soon.
Must have been a bad week for KLXs' .
Best of luck with your new parts.
Dan

Old 11-17-2010, 01:22 AM
1st Gear Member

yea, i think you went with your safest bet.
cuz, the bars you got were not a S***load of money i would hope and they will most likely not fail you .
and to be completely honest with you, there probably is, and i regret to say it, a way to bend those $350 bars. and if thta had happened.... well you obviously wouldnt go frolicing thru a feild of daisies!!!
good luck with the new hardware!