Could use some advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 12:47 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Could use some advice

2010 KLX SF 900 miles ,Riding the other day it dies, Got fuel . Notice the vent tube worked it's way to close to the header and melted shut .I cut off the end thinking problem solved, It starts but minute I give it throttle it dies , Trailer it home, Take it apart Carb looks good, Clean it anyway recheck everything , Put it back together Starts up ,Give it throttle it works, Go for a short ride all seems good come home start it several times good throttle .Button everything back up, Go to get the mail 2 mile turn around on the way back it just dies again ,Bike will start but no throttle ..History, Bought the bike with 700 miles on it. Stock , Installed FMF mega bomb header, FMF Power core 4 can , New Uni filter ,Lidless, Re jetted with Klster's long suffering guidance .Bike ran great for a 100 miles now this . I know from extensive research here the carburetors can be problematic but I am at a loss, Fuel flowing good to carburater, filter looks clean any Ideas? Thanks

Last edited by donA; 02-18-2017 at 12:51 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:39 AM
1st Gear Member

At this point it's back to basics. Eliminate either spark or fuel as the source. If it's fuel-to much or not enough? One thing that I have run into on CV carbs-if the slide is stuck or not moving then you get the symptoms you are describing.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GBAUTO
At this point it's back to basics. Eliminate either spark or fuel as the source. If it's fuel-to much or not enough? One thing that I have run into on CV carbs-if the slide is stuck or not moving then you get the symptoms you are describing.
Thanks for the reply, I just went back out and took it apart again ,looked good.Hooked everything back up, gas on ,choke on , fired up letting it warm up and notice gas coming out of the bowl overflow tube. Tap the carb with a dead blow hammer and it stops. Wondering at this point if the float has been the problem anyway warm up for a minute give it throttle and it works .Take it for a spin staying close to home ,But it's done this before I'll know more tomorrow .

Old 02-18-2017, 05:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Needle and seat need replacing. Varnish buildup in the seat bore causes stiction with the needle.. Oldest carb malfunction in the book..

Old 02-18-2017, 06:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Needle and seat need replacing. Varnish buildup in the seat bore causes stiction with the needle.. Oldest carb malfunction in the book..
Thanks, That's where I'm going next..

Old 02-19-2017, 04:31 PM
1st Gear Member

My old tw200 is doing the same thing... stuck float bowl needle. Tapping on it helps and if I'm riding its not a big deal... but don't tip it over or load it on a truck, or forget to turn off the petcock. I had wayyy to much gas in my crankcase

Old 02-23-2017, 06:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Been sidelined ... have been looking for a needle and seat on ebay seems like it takes two weeks or longer anyone got a resource ? My local dealer can get me one late next week but at $30 seemed a tad high..

Old 02-23-2017, 06:58 PM
1st Gear Member

"Jets are Us"

I ordered a jet kit for my Yamaha on a Friday, got the parts Monday.

KAWASAKI needle valve, valve assemblies and float bowl gasket

Old 02-23-2017, 07:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cmott426
"Jets are Us"

I ordered a jet kit for my Yamaha on a Friday, got the parts Monday.

KAWASAKI needle valve, valve assemblies and float bowl gasket
Thank you! Ordered it got a email about an hour later saying it shipped !

Last edited by donA; 02-23-2017 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:57 PM
1st Gear Member
Default carb issues

Well ,Finally got back to the bike and replaced the needle , not the seat and cleaned it one more time,Back together ,Starts .. go for a run just in my neighborhood putting a few miles on it ,Seams OK ,Decided to go on the road take it up to 65 and it dies .It does the exact same thing ,Get it home starts the minute I give it throttle it sputters and dies , I was assuming that the needle and seat were one unit ,I guess I will need to order the seat .. any Ideas thanks

Last edited by donA; 03-09-2017 at 10:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Could use some advice