Contemplating getting a KLX450 need opinions

Old 06-30-2009, 03:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by buff36
I work beside a Kaw dealership and the 450 is wicked as He&. You can get a dualsport light kit and retitle the bike as a motorcycle not a dirt bike and get it street legal.You get all the lights, blinkers and then buy your dot tires and your set
The AUS bike has all that already. They come street legal from the dealer, as does the CRF450X, WR450F.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:36 AM
1st Gear Member

David Knight won the last GNCC on a KX450 he bought and set up in one week the KLX is of course based on the KX, Kawasaki also placed 2nd and 5th. http://www.knighter.net/joomla/index...-snowshoe-gncc

Last edited by MaverickAus; 06-30-2009 at 03:39 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:08 AM
1st Gear Member

[quote=MaverickAus;382275]David Knight won the last GNCC on a KX450 /quote]

David Knight is just a bit better than the average rider.
He could win on anything (except a BMW)

But it makes the point that Kawasaki make a fine dirt bike that, in the right hands, can win races.
As I said, pick a colour.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Get it dude thats what I want to do and get it plated SON!!!!!

Old 06-30-2009, 05:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Go for it.
Today!!! She'll understand

Old 06-30-2009, 06:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by nixlux
For me to act on the 1000 cash back offer today could land me in the hot water with the missus lol.
Just remember it's easier to ask for forgivenes than to ask for permission!!!

Old 07-01-2009, 01:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Don't even consider anything else! The only thing that might make me turn my head is a berg and they are truly sweet! But the KLX450R is a runner.
This is mine:
Name:  P4050018-1.jpg
Views: 2427
Size:  164.1 KB

But be careful ...... The woods are it's natural habitat! Nothing can keep up with her!

Name:  HS524a.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  77.8 KB

Old 07-01-2009, 01:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by vfrpilot
That does look good

Old 07-01-2009, 11:45 PM
1st Gear Member

vfrpilot, i think you just helped influence me hahaha.
well, i went and had a chat to the local dealer and got some info from the actual service guys and not the salesman. I did this to avoid the usual sales pitch and got some very useful information about them. Basically they can't fault them which is definately a plus, so i think i'll keep an eye out for an ex demo/ used bike as thats all my budget can allow for after i sell my 250 and see how i go

Old 07-02-2009, 01:44 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

That is one sweet bike! I probably would have bought one when I was looking, but didn't want to hassle with trying to get it plated when the KTM was legal off the dealer floor.

I have been following the David Knight saga. The Cliff Notes are that Knight did not resign with KTM last year and instead went with BMW, supposedly he tired of racing the GNCC in the states and wanted to go back to race in Europe, but KTM wanted him here in the states in the GNCC where he didn't really want to be. Then BMW came along and wanted him in the WEC on their new G450, so he jumped ship to BMW. But after multiple DNFs and poor results in the WEC on the BMW, where he was previously #1 on KTM, he said he had no confidence in the G450 and the bike needed major changes to run at the top, but BMW didn't want to listen and only wanted to make minor adjustments. So realizing the he wasn't going to do well in the WEC, and that BMW was not interested in developing the bike to make it a winner for perhaps next year, he and BMW parted ways. Something like 1 or 2 weeks later, Knight wins the Snowshoe GNCC round on the KX450F. Might not be apples to oranges comparing the GNCC to the WEC, but it is hard to deny those results - DNF's in the WEC to placing 1st and in probably the toughest GNCC round of the series, this from arguably the best off-road rider in the world right now. I think it says a whole lot more about the BMW than it does the KX450F, though. That's not a dig on the Kawasaki, but to have full BMW factory support and the best rider in the world, and the guy has trouble even completing races, and then to go buy a privateer bike, throw on the KTM WP suspension he's used to, and win a GNCC, by something like 5 minutes in front of all the other top guys, that's a pretty strong statement to BMW that they have a lot of work to do. They should have kept Knight and listened to him to improve their bike, instead of insisting their platform was not the problem.

Anyway, that's an amazingly sweet bike you have there, vfrpilot. I'd love to take a spin on it.

Originally Posted by vfrpilot
Don't even consider anything else! The only thing that might make me turn my head is a berg and they are truly sweet! But the KLX450R is a runner.
This is mine:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Contemplating getting a KLX450 need opinions