Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   changed the front sprocket to a 13....now Ive got a strange noise (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/changed-front-sprocket-13-now-ive-got-strange-noise-20966/)

hunterhenderson 04-24-2008 03:22 PM

changed the front sprocket to a 13....now Ive got a strange noise

Just changed the sproket and now Ive got a noise from the front sprocket area, only under load, goes away when im off the gas??

any ideas??

HH

EMS_0525 04-24-2008 03:34 PM

RE: changed the front sprocket to a 13....now Ive got a strange noise

its the chain..... the stock sprocket has rubber dampers on it, the 13t doesnt..... its louder... no biggie, make sure your chain is well lubed too... that gets noisy when dry.

09KLXowner 04-24-2008 03:51 PM

nah, I don't think so. the stock '09 front sprocket does not have the rubber damper anymore and he is a new member. I'm not sure what year he has but if the noise wasn't there before it shouldn't be there after either. Also, the noise should be all the time, not just under "load". make sure you have the sprocket installed correctly, the shoulder or part of sprocket that sticks out should be against the engine. this aligns the chain coming from the rear sprocket. make sure you have the case saver cover put on right and the case saver itself as it can go on two different ways but only one is correct. other than that, did you install the correct sprocket?

EMS_0525 04-24-2008 04:08 PM

i got to buy a new case saver..... lost mine.... i dont even have that cover on..... lol

big lou 04-24-2008 04:25 PM

just put mine back on click- click- clickaway we go.

rbarchi 04-24-2008 07:27 PM

when I installed my 13t. I goofed up and put that metal piece that coutours around the chain in wrong. It made a terrible noise. I then fixed it and put it on the right way.... now just have the typical chain noise.....

09KLXowner 04-24-2008 09:17 PM

ORIGINAL: rbarchi

when I installed my 13t. I goofed up and put that metal piece that coutours around the chain in wrong. It made a terrible noise. I then fixed it and put it on the right way.... now just have the typical chain noise.....
:Dthat's the case saver- very important potentially.

durden 07-21-2010 04:31 AM

Yup, I put the case saver on in the wrong position (facing down, not back towards the incomming chain), and i chewed my chain to s**t. Im very glad I noticed the destroyed chain before going out in the trails, however, I did notice the day before I had a big trip planned! Lesson learned - MAKE SURE THE CASE SAVER IS IN THE RIGHT POSITION :)

jacksonriding7 07-21-2010 08:55 PM

I seem to recall someone on here also had to do a spacer for the particular 13 t he used. Might have been Deej, but dont quote me on that.

ol'klx-er 07-22-2010 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by hunterhenderson (Post 286162)
Just changed the sproket and now Ive got a noise from the front sprocket area, only under load, goes away when im off the gas??

any ideas??

HH

What year is your bike? What make is the 13?