Case saver

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 02:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Dan, that case saver is so tiny and fragile that I doubt you have any ability to take off any material for the chain contact without the thing turning to dust.
It's not like TNC to do this, but I think he is being sarcastic here. If it is sarcasm, by the definition of the word, he is telling me that my case saver is big and robust, maybe overly so, and could/should be pared down. My reply here is to my version of what he meant to say. I really don't want to go too much thinner in the area directly in front of the sprocket. I'm going to, but I'd rather not. The big lead in can be opened up without a problem.
Dan

Old 04-09-2013, 02:09 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
It's not like TNC to do this, but I think he is being sarcastic here. If it is sarcasm, by the definition of the word, he is telling me that my case saver is big and robust, maybe overly so, and could/should be pared down. My reply here is to my version of what he meant to say. I really don't want to go too much thinner in the area directly in front of the sprocket. I'm going to, but I'd rather not. The big lead in can be opened up without a problem.
Dan
Dan, you get an "A" for comprehensive reading

But seriously, that's a nice, robust looking design, and I can't imagine that you'd do much to weaken the function of the guard to any real degree. I totally agree on the upper, "lead-in" portion of the guard, as it does seem a little close. I'm guessing you don't want to create too much space, so as not to give the chain a chance to wad up in the extra space if some disaster occurs, but that constant contact with metal, even aluminum, is vibratory in nature which is probably not good for the pins and rollers. It gets enough already from the sprockets. Still, probably all much ado about nothing. I'm a little amazed at how much a top drawer chain gets its contact points flattened a little just from rubbing on the chainguides, skid blocks, and rollers. My Hotfoot Moto guides have little signs of any wear, but the chain has definitely gotten its rounded edges flattened a tiny bit...and only one chain adjustment in thousands of miles.

Old 04-29-2018, 02:36 PM
1st Gear Member

any updates on this?

Old 04-29-2018, 03:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Interesting. I considered doing something like that, but not quite that heavy duty. I wouldn't worry about the grooving though. Once deep enough the rollers will hit and roll. No big deal and far better than chain on the case. I was thinking get it centered on the rollers using spacers, avoiding mill work as another cost savings..

Have to consider putting this on the summer to-do list.

Last edited by klx678; 04-29-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:18 PM
1st Gear Member

hence me bring this back....

Old 04-29-2018, 08:00 PM
1st Gear Member

I will see what can be done.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:02 AM
1st Gear Member

I have the stock guard back on there now. I got a Husqvarna TE 250 a few years ago, and the KLX was relegated to mostly street riding. Switched it because I was worried about catching a pant leg in the open design of the one i detailed in this thread. I'll look in my parts drawer and post up about the condition of the one in this thread.
Dan

Old 04-30-2018, 12:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Dan, no problem with you if I play with the guard? I don't want to step on toes.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Dan, no problem with you if I play with the guard? I don't want to step on toes.
classy! i like the sportsmanship

Old 05-05-2018, 10:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Well sorry to say that i cant even locate the guard i made up. Its around but....Have at it Mark, and thanks for asking. . Sorry I couldn't give you more feedback on the original.
Dan

Quick Reply: Case saver