Bigger gas tank?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Default Bigger gas tank?

Just bought an '09. Love this bike...but need to carry more fuel. Are there manufacturers that make 'em for this bike?

Thanks.

-abe

Old 08-25-2008, 02:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome aboard!

I know this is your first post but, you really should consider using the search function first.

Clark is the easiest to fit.
IMS is probably a little better, especially if you get rid of the fan.
Acerbis makes the "super guppy" but, appears to be more trouble then it's worth.

Stock I got anywhere from 70 to 100MPG depending on how I rode. Mod'ded I get a solid 62MPG. How much range do you need on that stock seat anyway?

Last edited by Sid Post; 08-26-2008 at 01:20 AM.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:39 PM

Thanks for responding. You're right; I will search before just throwing out questions. I did look at Clark based on your advice...

Thanks again.

-abe

Old 08-26-2008, 12:38 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sid Post
Welcome aboard!

Clark is the easiest to fit.
IMS is probably a little better, especially if you get rid of the fan.
Acerbis makes the "super guppy" but, appears to be more trouble then it's worth.

Sid, what do you mean by more trouble than it's worth for the Acerbis? I thought that was the simplest and the most trouble-free install. The two downsides being the mfugliness and not being able to count on the fuel in the wings.

Clark seems to be by far having the most issues with fit and quality control problems.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Acerbis capacity without tipping or extra fuel lines or a fuel pump isn't too much more then the IMS tank. The extra fuel is carried too low in the wings to be helpful for most riders. If I were to do it again, I'd probably go IMS and consider dropping the fan entirely since my fan has only come on once in ~6K miles.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:53 AM
1st Gear Member

I opted for the Clarke because installation "seemed" easier than the IMS.
But given the fit issues I have had with the Clarke, I think the IMS might have been a better choice.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:19 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Acerbis Install Link

Like you Abe, I've been looking into this issue for my '09. Unlike some folks, my fan comes on somehwat frequently because I do a lot of slow technical trails I guess (crawling along in 1st and second gears for several minutes). I've emailed Acerbis to see if they're gonna make a tank for the '09, but I've never received a response. The currently available Acerbis tank leaves a gap between the tank and seat on the 2009. The write-ups I've seen for the IMS seem labor intensive especially if you have to build brackets to install lower profile radiator fans. Like neilaction said, there's fit issues with the Clarke which is the only one specifically made for the KLX250S - go figure.

Here's a link to an Acerbis tank install on a 2009.

http://gsnorcal.smugmug.com/gallery/...6_wmUMY#P-1-12

I have the honda red KLX (couldn't find a green one), so that further complicates use of the only available in green acerbis tank.

If you find some installation links, please post them!

Thanks,
-Steve

UPDATE: I got a return email from Acerbis (Brian Fullerton - very helpful). They don't plan to make a tank specifically for the KLX250S, but they will look into producing the KLX300 tank in black for those that don't have a green one!

Last edited by WNCSte; 08-27-2008 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Response from Acerbis
Old 08-27-2008, 01:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey WNC (is that Western North Carolina lol) and WSP

Welcome to KF

Old 08-27-2008, 02:03 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Thanks JRock

Yup, it's Western NC!
Been lurkin' long time, but now I got a mighty KLX!
Why didn't ya'll tell me how fun this bike is.

Oh wait, ya'll did tell me. I've been told I'm a bit slow...

Old 08-27-2008, 02:22 PM
1st Gear Member

haha lol,, Yeah.. I new that was WNC,, This past Jan.. I just moved back home here in WV from Assville oh wait Asheville lol,,, I worked at Prestige Subaru/Suzuki for four years but got tired of Asheville so moved back home..

Quick Reply: Bigger gas tank?