Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   Big bore the KLX or buy somethng new? (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/big-bore-klx-buy-somethng-new-38421/)

Sid Post 07-08-2012 05:38 PM

Big bore the KLX or buy somethng new?

I have around 10K miles on my KLX-250S. What I'm missing is the kick starter and power. What it's not missing is the extra 80lbs a 650 would have.

I really don't have the time (or skill so the build time would be much higher) to do a big bore kit myself, compression release, and kick starter.

Am I just better off starting over with a street legal KTM or similar ride?

What would it cost to have someone else install the big bore kit? Kick starter? Compression relief in the head?

Thanks!
Sid

revbillyg 07-08-2012 05:51 PM

Big bore is very easy. As long as you have a nice spot cleared to work start to finish prolly 6 hours taking your time..

I did have some small complications but overall was fun.

TNC 07-08-2012 06:06 PM

Maybe I'm missing something...why the compression release?

toyotabuilder 07-08-2012 06:38 PM

if you want "more" bike all around not just power but handling and dirt worthyness ktm's betas aprilias or husquvarna's are the way to go if i hade the $$ to keep my xr650 in race trim and pre run with it like i do i would or keep up the $$ on mataing a higher proformance bike i would but those factors are what led me here to thre klx, if you want snappy 350 power a beta 350 rs or a ktm exc 350 would be where i would go due to the better suspension they have if you want big power a exc500, beta 520 rs or the husky 511 or the monster husaberg fe 570 and at a reach the ktm enduro 690r you just have to ask is it just a step up in power or do you want more bike to go with the power?

Sid Post 07-08-2012 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by TNC (Post 477575)
Maybe I'm missing something...why the compression release?

The KLX-300 has a compression release for kick starting. The stock KLX-250S doesn't have this feature and use electric start.

If my battery or starter dies in the desert, I want to be able to kick start my motorcycle and ride out.

Sid Post 07-08-2012 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by toyotabuilder (Post 477578)
if you want "more" bike all around not just power but handling and dirt worthyness ktm's betas aprilias or husquvarna's are the way to go if i hade the $$ to keep my xr650 in race trim and pre run with it like i do i would or keep up the $$ on mataing a higher proformance bike i would but those factors are what led me here to thre klx, if you want snappy 350 power a beta 350 rs or a ktm exc 350 would be where i would go due to the better suspension they have if you want big power a exc500, beta 520 rs or the husky 511 or the monster husaberg fe 570 and at a reach the ktm enduro 690r you just have to ask is it just a step up in power or do you want more bike to go with the power?

I have a KTM 450XC-W for big power off road. I have considered the plated 350EXC-F option but, I dont' really want to drop $10K on something that comes close to replicating what I already have. For the $10K option, I would go with the KTM 690R with the 700 cc LC-4 motor.

The Kawasaki suspension is it's weak point. However, it is a true low maintanance dual sport and it works well enough. What I want is more motor to run 60MPH without reving so hard. I want an 80% street commuter with a 20% easy off road option. A 650 thumper is an option but, I don't want something that heavy or soft off road.

wildcard 07-08-2012 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sid Post (Post 477581)
The KLX-300 has a compression release for kick starting. The stock KLX-250S doesn't have this feature and use electric start.

If my battery or starter dies in the desert, I want to be able to kick start my motorcycle and ride out.

The 250's have a compression release feature already.... its on the exhaust cam.

Lutz 07-08-2012 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sid Post (Post 477581)

The KLX300 came from the factory with the same internal automatic compression release that the KLX250S has. The external compression releases did not come from the factory; most famously Stroker installed them on high compression modified motors.
So no need to do anything with the compression release on this bike just to add a kickstart.

TNC 07-08-2012 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by wildcard (Post 477584)
The 250's have a compression release feature already.... its on the exhaust cam.

Yeah, that was the part I didn't get in Sid's post. I figured he knew it had the same basic setup as the KLX300, but that he wanted something different.

2veedubs 07-08-2012 07:40 PM

Sid,

I did the 331 and went to a 15t front sprocket. It cruises easily on county highways(55mph). And has power to spare for passing, just roll on in 6th and 80mph pops up pretty quickly. The change to a BB is quite dramatic, if you can find a fellow klxer near you to help or a friend who knows what they are doing I would go for it. Great bang for the buck!