Bar Risers, 2" too high?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 08:31 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Bar Risers, 2" too high?

I am looking for something to get the bars a little higher. I have found cheap 1" risers and these 2" risers Amazon.com: Rox Speed FX Elite Series Pivot Handlebar Riser - 2in. - Black 1R-P2SS: Automotive I am not sure if the 2" ones will be too much for the clutch and brake cables. Or does anyone know of a replacement bar that is about 1.5" inches higher then stock? I like the Rox, they allow the bars to be adjusted forward and aft.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm using something very close to 2" above stock and it works. The clutch cable is just a tad on the tight end and I may have had to relocate it a little.

I used new bars that are just a little taller and these risers: Amazon.com: HANDLE BAR RISERS 7/8 ATV DIRTBIKE MOTORCYCLE SNOWMOBILE TRX CRF CR YZ KX RAPTOR: Automotive

I like those Rox ones.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:10 PM
1st Gear Member

some ppl say the new 09 cables r shorter... cant say for certain cuz i never owned a 06-07, but i have tusk mid bends (no riser) and i feel like maybe high bends would have been the very limit... i didnt bother to try n reroute lines or anything though either

Old 02-18-2012, 09:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Were you able to find any reviews on them? Those Rox look like they might tend to "pivot" even when you didn't want them to. They don't look nearly as sturdy either, the sides look too thin. Definitely more adjustable but ........
Dan

Old 02-18-2012, 09:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LikesToThump
some ppl say the new 09 cables r shorter... cant say for certain cuz i never owned a 06-07, but i have tusk mid bends (no riser) and i feel like maybe high bends would have been the very limit... i didnt bother to try n reroute lines or anything though either
Good point. Cmott, you want to find someone with a similar year/model for advice. Don't take mine...

Old 02-18-2012, 11:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I think that there must be some production differences in cable lengths and IDRIDR got lucky. I put on a 1" riser and should get longer cables. Everything is TIGHT at the extremes of the steering range. I've delayed (no $$) but figure that it'll be OK since in normal riding the extremes of steering don't come into play. New, longer cables are on "the list".

Old 02-19-2012, 05:50 AM
1st Gear Member

I put the 20 dollar Tusk? 1.2" risers that I bought off egay onto my 09 and the throttle cables were at their limit but worked. The clutch cable was no-go. I ordered +2" throttle cables and +3" clutch cable from Motion Pro. Now the clutch cable is too long by an inch or so. I had to alter the cable routing from stock in order to prevent a crazy 'S' bend at the clutch lever.

+2" would have been best across the board for all 3 cables whenever doing risers. I have since added a pair of proTaper SE bars that added a bit more rise. All 3 motion pro cables are still plenty long but the electrical wiring harness that goes to the handlebar switches is at its' limits.

Last edited by whyzee; 02-19-2012 at 05:55 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:55 AM
1st Gear Member

I went with this:

Pro Taper Universal Bar Mount Kit - ATV - Motorcycle Superstore

Raises the bar 3/4" which let me push the forks up about 1.25", which is a pretty close match for the 1.5" lowering links I'm running. Handles about the same as stock, except I can actually put a foot down, so I'm happy!

Old 02-19-2012, 09:56 AM
1st Gear Member

I put ZETA sx-3 motard-medium bars on my bike & with the higher bar clamps for the wider diameter bars, my throttle cables we're just about ok but the clutch would not stretch as the bars are about an inch wider & an 1.5 inches higher than stock. I bought a KLX300 clutch cable which is about 2 inches longer......problem solved.

This site handle bar simulator was handy:
ZETA HANDLE BEND SIMULATOR

Old 02-19-2012, 02:34 PM
1st Gear Member

I dont know how many times I have seen the question asked about longer cables. That piece of info from Joel , is a valuable one to file away .

Quick Reply: Bar Risers, 2" too high?