Any one else have a squeaky speedo hub?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 02:00 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Any one else have a squeaky speedo hub?

It is not a long continuous squeak, but a chirping that follows the wheel speed. Mine started 2 days after I put on my 4th set of tires. I finally narrowed it down to the hub by zip-tying it to the fork deflector (not installed on the axle) and riding around the block a couple of times. This was after I took the front wheel off, cleaned/inspected everything, and reassembled it; several times. Also, It doesn't squeak until about 15 MPH.

The squeak goes away if I put lithium lube in the spinning part of the hub, but it comes back after about 500 miles. I'm getting sick of having to take off my front wheel to re-lube every month. I've tried a couple lubes, but the white lithium works for the longest. Plus, it always seems to start on my first day back to work for the week.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:00 AM
1st Gear Member

I see you have an '09, as do I. By 'hub' do you mean the odometer/speedometer drive housing? These bikes ('09+) have a different odo/speedo drive (electronic) than the older bikes (mechanical), just for reference.

I have noticed a chirp coming from the front end on a couple of ocassions. Each time, it was as I was pulling into the driveway at work after my 50-ish mile commute. I only noticed it at low speeds, like maybe from 15mph down to zero. It hasn't been an ongoing issue for me though. And I haven't heard it for quite some time.

I've had my front tire off a few times for tire swaps, each time I've lubed the seals with BelRay waterproof grease.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:13 AM
1st Gear Member

just give the speedo pick up a blast of wd 40 and it will go away forever. This is common on th 09 and above. It is aggravating isn't it?

Old 08-09-2011, 10:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Yup Mine goes

SQUEALLLLL

Once I figured out what it was, not a big worry. It went away,then came back when I put on a new tire. It went away again after a while.

David

09 351

Old 08-09-2011, 04:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Well it sounds like alot of these klxs do it. Mine does too. I used WD-40 and it went away. But I'm hearing it again when the rpms are low enough. Gotta keep using the WD-40... and keep the revs up.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Mine does it, a steady squeeeeeeeel at low speeds. Not all the time but it does do it. Where exactly are you all shooting the wd-40?

Old 08-09-2011, 05:03 PM
1st Gear Member

My old Honda used to screech like a goosed pig.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Using the little red tube inserted in the spray nozzle spray it inbetween the aluminum hub and the black speedo chingas...didn't go crazy with it either

Old 08-09-2011, 07:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RaceGass
Using the little red tube inserted in the spray nozzle spray it inbetween the aluminum hub and the black speedo chingas...didn't go crazy with it either
Front wheel all installed just shoot the gap?

Old 08-09-2011, 08:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
Front wheel all installed just shoot the gap?
Yup. Worked for me. YMMV

Quick Reply: Any one else have a squeaky speedo hub?