Another ride, another crash...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 05:37 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Another ride, another crash...

Hi guys

Went for a brilliant ride yesterday with a couple of mates and had a great time. Was the only one to make it up a tricky hill climb without a hitch, so had all the confidence of the winner of the Erzberg Extreme Enduro... but alas my skills were not as high as my confidence levels. On the next tricky uphill we did, my brute force approach was not as effective. Instead I managed to push my front wheel up the face of a big rock, then the momentum rocketed the bike skyward, spitting me off the back, then flipping the bike over backwards and down the hill again.

Stunningly enough, the the bike was fine. The left foot peg seems to have taken the brunt of the force of the fall as you can see from the pic below. Not a problem as I have been meaning to fit the fat pegs I got off eBay (thanks WestOzKLX). My main worry is that it chipped the valve clearance cover (I think that's what the manual calls it). Can anyone tell me if there is anything wrong with me just leaving this be rather than replacing it? There is no oil leaking or anything, and it doesn't look like the the seal is broken at all. If it's not a critical part I'll just leave it as is.

Name:  Chippedvalvecheckingcover.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  43.8 KB

Name:  Damagedfootpeg.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  37.1 KB

On the plus side, the Renthal Twinwall's stoof up to the crash really well, and I would say the tripple clamp mounts for the barkbusters probably helped dissipate the forces as well. I would highly recommend them over the standard mounts.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:54 AM
1st Gear Member

but alas my skills were not as high as my confidence levels.
I've got the very same problem sometimes.

That's a nice battle scar you gave it. As long as there's no broken chunks falling inside and the plug is well secured, I don't see any reason to replace it. I would anyway just because it those little things failing that leave us stranded out in the middle of nowhere.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:20 PM
1st Gear Member

That is the timing cover. I would replace it only because if it gets loose oil comes out of it when the engine is running. I found out the hard way.

Sorry about the crash,

David

Old 12-12-2010, 09:26 PM
1st Gear Member

It looks to me like the screwdriver slot in the inspection cap is broken out. If that is the case, you are going to have a hard time getting that cap off. You may have to take the whole case off and remove the cap from the inside. You might be able to wait until the next time you have to check the valve clearance.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:13 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

A simple hammer and chisel will get that timing cover screw/plug off by just tapping it around in a counter-clockwise direction. I'd replace that because I see a good bit of the o-ring exposed, and it's probably just a matter of time until oil starts seeping past. A little crankcase pressure at just the right time, and you're gonna have a decent gusher of oil going past what's left of the o-ring.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by David R
That is the timing cover. I would replace it only because if it gets loose oil comes out of it when the engine is running. I found out the hard way.
Originally Posted by TNC
... I'd replace that because I see a good bit of the o-ring exposed, and it's probably just a matter of time until oil starts seeping past. A little crankcase pressure at just the right time, and you're gonna have a decent gusher of oil going past what's left of the o-ring.
Thanks for your advice guys. The ring actually blew today and leaked oil all over the place. Good thing I had taken your advice and ordered the replacement cap and O-ring already, so had the parts waiting at home. Glad it didn't happen on a trail!

Old 12-16-2010, 03:04 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Tell me more about this "crash"....I've heard of people dropping thier bikes, but it's yet to happen to me. And no its not because I don't ride fast, I'm just that good.....no? Ok maybe not. LOL

Old 12-16-2010, 03:26 PM
1st Gear Member

zeta makes some aftermarket ones if you want some bling. oh, and i dont believe it till i see video. deej, and a hill climb, 1 in a 10000 (miles) chance . either way, it sounds like you not hurt, which is the most important thing.

Last edited by punkenduro09; 12-16-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Tell me more about this "crash"....I've heard of people dropping thier bikes, but it's yet to heppen to me. And no its not because I don't ride fast, I'm just that good.....no? Ok maybe not. LOL
I never drop my bike, I never drop my bike.....blah, blah blah.
Deej at least go tip it over in the driveway man!!!
Were going to have to take away your dirtbike card. LOL Just messin
Dan

Old 12-16-2010, 10:53 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
I never drop my bike, I never drop my bike.....blah, blah blah.
Deej at least go tip it over in the driveway man!!!
Were going to have to take away your dirtbike card. LOL Just messin
Dan

Hey I've laid my bike over several times.......changing the oil!

Quick Reply: Another ride, another crash...