Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   Another Noob (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/another-noob-21529/)

coveor 05-12-2008 08:40 PM

Another Noob

Hi folks. I just wanted to introduce myself as a new KLX owner. I joined the ranks last week after over a year of lurking here and looking for a bike that was in good shape and within striking distance. I'm very pleased to have found a 2006 in excellent condition with many of the initial mods I would have performed. Now I just have to get it adjusted to my liking and riding habits (a little carb & suspension adjustment), get it registered in Oregon (hopefully the mods won't raise issues there), and get my motorcycle endorsement.

I've been an off-road rider for some time (on an '02 XR250R) but needed dual-sport so I could connect the trails and visit other riding spots without trailering. I plan to do a side-by-side with the KLX and XR to help others who might be faced with the same decision I was. I love the XR and, had I been able to make it street legal in Oregon, wouldn't have even considered the trade. The XR is a popular bike for very good reason, even though it's no racer. Initially, the KLX feels pretty comparable, but I need to sort out the suspension a bit.

My wife and I took the first ride a little ways into the mountains (mostlyrough forest service road) and she was pleased. Being able to ride pretty comfortably 2-up was also a requirement. With the FMF muffler, it's quieter than my essentially uncorked XR.

I pretty seriously investigated the KLX, the DR-Z, the WR250R and a few others before settling on the KLX. I'm pretty sure I made the right decision. Of course, with what I saved, I might be able to afford a big-bore this winter! ;)

Oh, I guess I'm not completely new to the KLX as I also owna 1980 KLX250A1 that I completely overhauled a couple of years ago. Quite a different bike though.

Mods on my new bike? Four Stroke Works head pipe, FMF tail-pipe, Acerbis dual-sport hand-guards, and very nicely reworked rear fender/lights with Baja Designs liense plate holder and LED tail light. Kudos to the previous owner on a very nice rear-end job. Much better than stock, IMHO.

paul

[IMG]local://upfiles/7062/314788E4E30C4D759F376F4909C0D67E.jpg[/IMG]

big lou 05-12-2008 09:05 PM

RE: Another Noob

nice clean looking bike.

klx250s_rider 05-12-2008 09:19 PM

Paul, welcome to the Forum! Looking forward to hearing more about your KLX/XR comparisons. Have fun and keep us posted to all your future mods and trips!

deej 05-12-2008 11:01 PM

Welcome Paul, I'm absolutely positive that you will love the KLX. Oh and we want pics of the old bike too. I'm all about the "old school" :D Insert old joke here.;) By the way, that 06 KLX looks very familiar.........hmmmmmmmmmm

coveor 05-13-2008 12:43 AM

I wouldn't doubt you've seen it, either here (the seller was a former member of this august community) or on good ol' E-Bay, where it was listed.

oldphart 05-13-2008 06:26 AM

Welcome to the forum, I can see your wallet shrinking as I one finger type, beleive me that takes a while, boy you are in deep ca, ca.

oldphart 05-13-2008 06:31 AM

I of course mean wallet wise, correct mommy?