Another new 09 here and looking for best GPS

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 01:43 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Another new 09 here and looking for best GPS

Well hi guy's and gals. I picked up my new left over 09 last week and have only been to rider it once as the weather here in Michigan has sucked since then. I have trimmed the rear uvula and turned the reflectors/plate bracket upside down to tuck the plate up under the rear light. I ordered the hand guards and a 13 tooth front sprocket today. I want to add a GPS unit to it and need to know what you guys think is the best. I want one that is easy to read when mounted on the bars. I am looking forward to the spring and can up north to ride some of Northern Michigan's trails.

Attached Thumbnails Another new 09 here and looking for best GPS-img_0918.jpg   Another new 09 here and looking for best GPS-img_0920.jpg  
Old 11-04-2010, 02:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Well, the first question would be how much are you willing to spend? I run the Garmin Zumo. It was designed for motorcycle use so it can take some abuse. It also comes with a handlebar mount and is very easy to see and use while mounted. These units can cost a little much but I have had really good luck with mine. I had one issue, sent it back to Garmin, it was repaired and sent back at very little cost.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Old 11-04-2010, 05:10 AM
1st Gear Member

I actually like going by the sun...but, I live in the desert, and you can almost always tell which direction is which by the sun. Sure, I ride a lot with guys that have GPS...and we stop all the time at intersections while they poke and squint, trying to find the right trail. Oftentimes we end up on Goat Trails, taking the wrong trail many times. I even kid one fellow saying he as a GT-3000, with "GT" meaning: "Goat Trail". I can get us to our destination just as well by using dead-reckoning and the sun.

However, if I were in your neck of the woods, I think I'd want a very good GPS. But, I cannot recommend any, since I don't use one.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:37 AM
1st Gear Member

I use a Garmin GPSMAP 76. Can't say it's the best, but I can say the price is reasonable (about $200) for a good screen size with the ability to upload Garmin's topo maps. I also like the unit because it's been darn rugged, water resistant, and it FLOATS (I've sunk GPS units to the bottom of the river before). Been using Garmins for about 15 years now. I use RAM mounts so its easy to remove and put in my pocket and use rechargeable batts, but it can be hard wired if you want. And I put a mount ball on my mountain bike, quad, and snowmobile so the same mounting system & GPS can be used on any ride. With all that said, I gotta agree with blackheart and wildcard...nothing beats having a compass and map and using the sun to know directions. GPS is just a backup to old reliable.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard

Analog version aye ? I never leaver home without one after getting lost in the middle of June around noon in 95 degree heat and clear skys. It took 3 hours to find my way back, no shadows and sun directly overhead. I am willing to spent $300 for a GPS and it needs a handle bar mount. I want to upload train info programs to alert me of public land and any trails that come along.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:51 PM
1st Gear Member

My Garmin Zumo 550 has sucked from day 1. Get a cheap one and if it acts up, throw it and buy another.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:27 AM
1st Gear Member

No clue if it's good, but I like the idea of replacing the speedo with a gps.

http://www.trailtech.net/912-300.html
* GPS Speed, Distance, Compass, Altitude, Temperature, Maps
* View, Organize, Edit and Share Entire Trail Systems in 3D
* Designed Specifically to Meet the Needs of Off-Road Riders
* 240x400 WQVGA LCD - Readable in Intense Sunlight
* Engine Performance linked to GPS Data
* Crash Resistant, Off-Road Design
* Upload Routes from any GPS
* Customizable User Screens
* Model-Specific Integration
* Accurate Tracks, Even in the Toughest Terrain

Old 11-05-2010, 12:32 AM
1st Gear Member

This one works for me. Then again I do know what I'm doing.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:05 AM
1st Gear Member

I'd get a lower cost GPS to start (the E-trex is great). Learn how top use it and how it works on the bike. Using a GPS for hiking and stuff is a lot different then motoring. Then, when you're ready you can make a educated decision on a higher end, more powerful unit. If you plan on going off road, a GPS with maps is better.
Just my two pennies worth.....
jt

Quick Reply: Another new 09 here and looking for best GPS