Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   All busted up (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/all-busted-up-43304/)

Michaelb2 08-18-2015 10:12 PM

All busted up

OK. I'm scared. I haven't taken it apart yet, but I broke it. I broke it good. I didn't put a skid plate on yet, and I'm paying the price.

While riding off road, I went over some scrabble and came down on top of a boulder. It hit the left-hand-side loop that's welded to the bottom of the frame, right in front of the shifter. One weld sheared, and the loop was pushed up into the generator cover. The engine noise change was instant. I came to a stop and killed the motor. Looking down at a puddle of oil. Clearly the loop needs to be welded back on, a skid plate installed, and I'll need a generator cover. I haven't taken it apart yet. Any chance I did damage to the internals?? be gentle with me...

NorCalKLX 08-18-2015 11:47 PM

I wouldn't worry much about it, it is what it is, sorry. If you really did kill the engine right away I think you'll be alright, just fix the weld, install a skid and fix the cover. What else can you do?

Rock Hugger 08-19-2015 12:31 AM

Like he said, if you shut it off immediately I doubt you did any damage to the engine.

GBAUTO 08-19-2015 12:55 AM

I would guess that it's only coming from the bashed in bit of cover rubbing against the flywheel. Get a replacement cover and clean up any fragments and all should be well.

Oh...and get a real friggin' bash plate if you're going to be rock hopping.

TNC 08-19-2015 12:58 AM

Ouch! There's no way to tell until you pop the generator cover off. From the description, it sounds like the stator is the most likely victim...but...it could miraculously be only the aluminum from the case and/or the frame piece grinding on the rotor. Fingers crossed.

klx678 08-19-2015 01:09 AM

Coulda been worse. You could have busted yourself up. The bright side...

NorCalKLX 08-19-2015 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by klx678 (Post 523531)
Coulda been worse. You could have busted yourself up. The bright side...

Haha, aint that the truth!

klx678 08-19-2015 11:09 PM

Probably cheaper too. Even with insurance, my fractured ankle cost me $300 last year!

Michaelb2 08-24-2015 06:47 PM

I finally made/found the time to check it out. The generator cover was dented just enough to make contact internally. Steel internals vs. aluminum cover: steel wins. No damage to the internals. Funny enough, I couldn't find a real "hole" either. I ordered a new cover and gaskets today; they should be here by end of week. Hopefully I can install them Saturday and get some riding in on Sunday! I'll post pics when I can.

taxonomy 08-24-2015 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by klx678 (Post 523570)
Probably cheaper too. Even with insurance, my fractured ankle cost me $300 last year!

I broke my ankle pretty bad and the hospital bill with $28,000 but I had insurance. I looked at the itemized bill, one Tylenol was $10.

A friend damaged his knee some years ago and he had to declare bankruptcy.

Yup, I'd rather it was the bike. My dad always used to say "Was anybody hurt, No? Then there's no problem." When I saw "busted up" I thought the worst. Be careful out there. But have fun.