Air Fuel Mixture Screw Help

Old 09-18-2010, 08:25 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Air Fuel Mixture Screw Help

I just installed my new Leo Vince exhaust. Super nice, but I am getting a little bit of a back fire then I come to a stop. I was told I should adjust the air fuel mixture screw out a 1/4 turn or two.

First where the heck is this screw? I think I found where it is, It is on the bottom front of the carb? Secondly, how do you adjust it? Do you have to pull the carb out?

Old 09-18-2010, 09:33 PM
1st Gear Member

It's on the bottom of the carb....covered by a brass cap (unless the PO already removed it). You don't have to remove the carb, but, you have to loosen it from the intake and airbox connections (and perhaps remove the throttle cable holder) and twist it in place. Doing so, you can remove that plug and get to the screw. I put a Kouba t-screw on mine, which makes it easy to tweak as needed (big changes in elevation, for example).

Old 09-18-2010, 10:16 PM
1st Gear Member

PO = Previous Owner? yeah I don't see a brass cap. Can you take a picture for me?

Last edited by Vrede; 09-18-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Mate, read this thread: http://hmfracing.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=remove

You want to see post number 13 in that thread for a pic of the cap.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Found it but you can't even get to it. Looks like I will have to pull the carb. So annoying. I didn't want to get into this!

If I have to rejett, which is the way its looking, I will also want to pull the stock airbox. What is everyone replacing it with?

Old 09-20-2010, 07:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Vrede
So annoying. I didn't want to get into this!

I I will also want to pull the stock airbox. What is everyone replacing it with?

You are "so annoyed" by having to turn the pilot screw by 1/2 turn but you want to pull the stock airbox and take on a jetting project 20 x the magnitude of simply adjusting the pilot screw a little.
I'm so confused.

Best way to avoid problems is either leave it STOCK, or do a set of well documented simple jetting changes and stop there.

--
Mikko

Old 09-21-2010, 01:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm so "annoyed" because I have gone through the same issues with my Honda Ruckus. I was told with the KLX if I was just adding the slip-on exhaust I wouldn't have to rejet. That is why I'm "annoyed".

However, if I have to rejet after adding this slip-on I might as well take it to the next step and delete the stock air box.

Can you point me in the right direction for finding information on this?

****Also you can't just turn the pilot screw on my KLX, there isn't enough room.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:03 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

You have unrealistic expectations out of most any motorcycle engine with a carb if you expect to modify the exhaust with less restriction and have it work perfectly without rejetting or tuning. Even some FI models need some computer manipulation when the intake and exhaust are modified.

You don't want to remove the airbox. The airbox mods everyone talks about here are simple and improve air volume just fine. If you're thinking about running a clamp-on K&N style filter directly at the carb, the CV carb may have some air delivery disruption that could negatively affect the vacuum slide carb. And for off road use, the OEM airbox in either stock form or modded form offers excellent protection.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow, everyone likes to dig on this forum. How about just helping a frustrated member out? Can you point me to a thread for modifying the stock air box?

Old 09-21-2010, 02:38 PM
1st Gear Member

They are trying to help you, your the one being unrealistic. This is where the old saying "having your cake and eating it too" comes from. Its like saying you want to go buy something at the store, but you don't want to have less money in your wallet, and your getting pissed because you can't have that.

Your either a little off in the head or your 12 years old. Either go get some meds form the doc or wait till you grow up. The people on this forum are of great help, if you have a problem with them, you have a problem with yourself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Fuel Mixture Screw Help