Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   after klx250s/sf? (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/after-klx250s-sf-38774/)

ahnh666 08-27-2012 10:13 PM

after klx250s/sf?

for those with no desire for crotch rockets, cruisers or big cc is better mentality...the 2009 klx250sf is serving me well as a commuter, lane splitter and urban moto...i have no plans to sell it....almost an year exact with little over 11,000 miles on this little 'turd that could...i think it is the perfect freeway commute moto and city weaver....

looking to have a 2nd moto...i want it to be light, quick, fun and multi-purpose (dirt, street and between)...but, something that is still durable for the long run....i can do oil changes and valve adjustments, but i don't want to do it ever 500 miles or couple hours....i'm okay with 1,000 miles oil changes and maybe 3,000 mile valve adjustments....doesn't seem like all the bikes have service intervals posted online that i can easily view...so, what is the bike for me?...some bikes i've been looking at...street legal...
  1. husqvarna te310r, te449 or te511...is bigger better?...i'll probably do about 50% street to get to the dirt and 50% dirt....
  2. aprilia sxv 4.5-5.5...with dual sport tires...is the maintenance schedule as bad as people say?...will this actually last me?...
  3. ktm 350 or 450 exc‑f or other ktm models?...

any other bikes you might want to recommend?...i don't have much information about it...

Lotrat 08-27-2012 10:38 PM

I have been looking around too.
1. I'm cheap.
2. I'm short.
3. I'd want my KLX if I go off road.

I rode a KLR650 and couldn't imagine taking it in the dirt. Sure, a dirt road ride would be fine, but I don't do many of those. A dirt road always leads to something more... So I'd be on the KLX. My next bike will be all street. Looking at a Versys. Upright sport bike. I'm not old enough to ride a couch on wheels around yet.

ahnh666 08-27-2012 10:50 PM

i just unloaded a lot of my road bikes and have some money...and, i've been riding the street, but find that i want to do more street legal and "enduro" through paved, dirt and light off-road...

i just don't know much about the "exotic" enduros...and, since the japanese bikes aren't making anything worth upgrading to, i thought i should start looking at more husqvarna, ktm and aprilia "exotics"...

Lotrat 08-27-2012 11:06 PM

Thow the BMW G650GS on the list then. I was a little surprised on the price tag. Lower than I thought. MSRP $7,850 (including ABS) or the Sertao MSRP $8,650 (including ABS). Both being 650's

2veedubs 08-27-2012 11:21 PM

XR650L - cheap reliable and not much heavier than our KLX. Pretty tall though, plenty of power when uncorked. Also a dime a dozen so they can be found at a resonable price.

djchan 08-28-2012 12:03 AM

I've had 2 KTM's and would buy another in a heartbeat. I've had 1 Husky and wouldn't trade my KLX straight up for another. Italians make PRETTY motorcycles... not reliable. KTMs on the other hand (and quite contrary to the common belief) are tough as nails. Don't know about the newer models but the RFS series 400/450/500 and 525 are noit fragile at all. No need to upgrade. Get the right springs and ride.

wildcard 08-28-2012 12:24 AM

KTM if theres no japanese bikes you like. Husky, Husa, Gas Gas and Aprilia are very high maintenance.

The KTM will need more TLC than a KLX obviously, but much less likely to grenade at any given moment if you don't do the top end after every season.

My .02 anyway.

dan888 08-28-2012 12:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A buddy had an Aprillia sxv 450, I used the word sexy to describe that dirtbike. My buddy never checked the valves on that thing because to do it you basically had to pull the engine out!! He sold it in order to get something lighter for in the woods.
The right off road bike depends on what type of off road you are riding. For tight woods like I ride around here you don't need the big engines, and a lighter bike is a huge advantage. If you are off roading in wider open areas , desert, etc maybe you do want a bigger engine and weight isn't as much of a concern.
Dan
Attachment 11785

ahnh666 08-28-2012 12:48 AM

g650gs weighs almost 450 lbs. and not really what i'm looking for..and xr650l is like 350 lbs., but closer to what i'm looking for....but, i do want something lighter...looks like husky and aprilia is out...this narrows my search for the perfect ktm...wow...they sure have a endless list of bikes..sheesh...

any recommendations for least maintenance and durable bike for both dirt and streets?....4 stroke will probably be the more durable choice... http://www.ktm.com/enduro.html

2veedubs 08-28-2012 12:54 AM

The KTMs are very nice. The price is justified. You get what you pay for, depends where you fall on how much you want to drop on a bike.