Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   additional mods (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/additional-mods-4503/)

deej 06-08-2006 08:33 AM

additional mods

As you all know I am hopefully getting the muzzy, jetting and K&N filter on my bike soon. My question to you is what about the breather tube or any other drilling of the airbox or plugging off of any stuff. Can I do all that later after I get the bike back from the shop? Or do I even need to do anything else? Thanks guys.

Nobrakes 06-08-2006 09:48 AM

RE: additional mods

The main thing you need to do together is the intake + jetting + exhaust. This is because of the interrelationship between these three. There is not a simple yes/no answer or formula for this, but in general changing one without changing the other(s) will alter the balance of the system. If your system was previously tuned and you then change one of those three, it will now be slightly out of tune, if that makes sense.

So ... install the high flow snorkel and your K&N air filter, do your jetting, and install the pipe at once. The big concern is opening up the intake without rejetting since that could cause a too-lean situation, causing your chamber to burn excessively hot, and possibly do damage in the extreme case (melting your valves, seizing your piston, etc) = no fun. Similarly if you install the pipe without rejetting you can do the same thing though probably to a lesser degree, since the bike will be inhaling more air due to the less restrictive exhaust - what goes out must have come in and if more exhaust is coming out, then more air must be going in = leaner burn assuming no carb changes yet, even if you haven't yet made intake upgrades. So in this case, simply adding a new pipe without doing anything else can upset things too.

Other than the intake + jetting + pipe, I don't think there is any particular order that needs to happen. The EPA tubing can stay or go, doesn't matter a whole lot, IMO. Most people remove it. Drilling the crank case vent is intended to relieve a little back-pressure from case due to rapid piston motion. It's intended to help the higher RPM range. This is not required to do when you do your intake+jet+exhaust and can be done before or after at any time.

Marty 06-08-2006 01:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
deej,

No, this is not the END of the MODS . . . . . it's only the beginning of a long process to continue to make the bike just what you want it to be.

A motorcycle is NEVER finished, regardless of how long you own it. There are just so many things available to make it more suited to the purpose that you have designated for it.

Many things to think about on the bike . . . . . . referred to by some as F A R K L E S !

Just be glad that you chose to purchase a dualsport bike instead of something like a cruiser! Just look at all the 'accessories' that are available for that particular genre of motorocycle . . . . . chrome this, fancy painted that and a whole lot more things you can mod!

The KLX250S is basically a sound motorycle that lends itself to mods, farkles and customization by it's owners. I think if you look, even though they all started out the same, each bike owned by members of this forum are slightly different - all unique! Ain't that cool!

Okay, let's put up a photo of our bikes in this thread so deej can see just how different each one is. A whole bike shot - either side - is requested. Here's mine:

Thus far I've done:

Acerbis 3.7 gallon gas tank
Acerbis Supermoto black front fender
Changed Carb Needle to one from a 2005 KLX300 - provides adjustment
Changed Countershaft Sprocket to a 13 tooth unit
Changed Main Jet to #125
Drilled out first baffle in muffler with 1/2 drill bit
Drilled out Pilot Jet Adjustment Screw cover
Drilled out slide with 7/64ths drill bit
Moose Barkbusters
Removed Seat Strap
Renthal Aluminum Handlebars
Replaced Airbox Snorkle with one from a KDX220
Turned out Pilot Jet Adjustment to 2 turns

Planned modifications:

Set of Raising Links from Eaglemike at Eagle Mfg & Eng.
Race-Tech fork springs
Cheng Shin 858 tires
Muzzy full exhaust system

DJFields 06-08-2006 03:05 PM

Here's mine
All the internal mods completed along with a full revamp of the stock muffler.
Lots of GREEN in this shot!

[IMG]local://upfiles/1026/88F3C4E297904B46BE0541B59BFD9E2D.jpg[/IMG]

deej 06-08-2006 05:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
But I promise after the exhaust, air box and jetting I will be finished..........I can stop anytime I want..........my name is deej and I am a modaholic.

Attachment 34564

sullydirt 06-08-2006 06:03 PM

Here's mine:

[IMG]local://upfiles/1849/843213756404436EAB1A1960D885CBB4.jpg[/IMG]

Gerg 06-08-2006 06:20 PM

ORIGINAL: deej
But I promise after the exhaust, air box and jetting I will be finished..........I can stop anytime I want..........my name is deej and I am a modaholic.
Hah.. Niiice!

So many mods even your kid got a ticket? Saw the pic in your gallery and just started laughing...

Marty 06-08-2006 08:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sullydirt,

Is this what you're trying to do?

deej 06-08-2006 08:40 PM

Hey Sully I like the ADV sticker on the front plate, it kind of looks empty without it. Also I want some of those Dunlop fork graphics, but where do I get them? Nice looking bike I must say.

sullydirt 06-08-2006 09:03 PM

Thanks Guys,

I should post one more recent. In that picture I had the rear rack off, and I was in the process of installing my rear blinkers. I can't remember where I got the Dunlop stickers. Maybe Motoworldracing or Rocky Mountain ATV? Of course the ADV sticker is from Adventure Workshop.

Marty, the acerbis tank looks good, It seems to look more like kawi green than other pics. I would love to get one in black.