Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   Acceptable helmet? (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/acceptable-helmet-36838/)

bshattuck87 11-06-2011 11:55 PM

Acceptable helmet?

Hey everyone, I'm still looking at getting a klx250sf. I'm trying to find a helmet that fits the 'style' of the bike. Does a dirt bike 'looking' helmet or more of a street bike looking helmet fit the bike better? Thanks!

Borg 11-07-2011 12:01 AM

One that is comfortable on your head is better.

BlkDakDave 11-07-2011 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by bshattuck87 (Post 458075)
Hey everyone, I'm still looking at getting a klx250sf. I'm trying to find a helmet that fits the 'style' of the bike. Does a dirt bike 'looking' helmet or more of a street bike looking helmet fit the bike better? Thanks!

I have a HJC CL-16 (white) that I use in cold weather and a AFX FX-39 (white) that I use in hot weather. I live in South Texas, so it's hot most of the time. As you can see, they're full face and both are white. My belief is white is reflects the sun's heat and is more visible to other drivers.

ol'klx-er 11-07-2011 12:20 AM

What Borg said. Looks are best left as secondary to a good fit, snug to the point of almost being uncomforable. If you're going to be mostly ripping around on pavement a street helmet will grab less wind and be easier on your neck. White is rumoured to be the safest colour. And as above: get a full face.

BleednGreen68 11-07-2011 01:05 AM

I used to use my scorpion motocross helmet. I didnt like it cause the visor was too long on it. Plus I hated using goggles on it. Then I bought a Fly Racing Trekker helmet. I love it! Has a flip up shield. Still looks like a motocross helmet a lil bit with the visor and long nose. Has lots of adjustable vents and you can wear goggles with it and have the shield closed. Removable liner and shield of course. I think they retail for around $130 now. Just basic colors. I highly recommend it.

Lotrat 11-07-2011 02:02 AM

I have a Shoei full face for the streets and Typhoon motocross helmet for the dirt. A dirtbike helmet is designed to get air in to cool you off. You may not want this at street speeds.

TNC 11-07-2011 02:03 AM

I've really gotten partial to these Arai clones like the AFX37 and such that Dave mentioned. I've had tons of off road helmets over the last 40+ years, most with goggles for real off roading with friends or racing. However, when riding with others on these adventure outings like IDRIDR and I did at Moab or when riding by myself, these Arai clones are about the most comfortable and convenient helmets I've ever used. Goggles are still just about a necessity for racing or hardcore fun riding in groups on singletrack, but otherwise I think helmets like the AFX and similar models are great IMO.

T_i_G_e_R 11-07-2011 02:05 AM

ARAI best helmet Ive tried I have all of them.. they make a dual sport helmet that is top notch Arai XD-3 Dual Sport Motorcycle Helmet
Arai XD 3 Helmet Information at Arai-Motorcycle-Helmets.com

BillMoore 11-07-2011 03:49 AM

I really like my AFX-39.

TNC 11-07-2011 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by T_i_G_e_R (Post 458100)
ARAI best helmet Ive tried I have all of them.. they make a dual sport helmet that is top notch Arai XD-3 Dual Sport Motorcycle Helmet
Arai XD 3 Helmet Information at Arai-Motorcycle-Helmets.com

Yes, they ought to be good at those prices. I think some of these other companies have made some real inroads on quality and price to be more competitive.