2018 Kawasaki KLX - out the door price?

Old 09-10-2018, 04:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 2018 Kawasaki KLX - out the door price?

Just wondering what some of you guys have paid in dealer fees, taxes, destination charges, document fees, etc. when buying a new 2018 KLX from a dealer? No need to disclose what you paid in total, just curious as to how much more BS is tacked on to the agreed upon price of the bike itself when buying new. For reference I am in the U.S.

I've read where some guys have paid $300-600 in extra fees when buying new. I realize taxes are a big variable as they are different from area to area. Just looking to get a rough idea.

Thank you!

Old 09-10-2018, 09:44 PM

KLX250 In PA, close to 7% tax with title and tag. Around $6,600 give or take $70 or so. I made the decision after saving for a used one and decided that I may as well buy new, got a really good interest rate. I purchased from Gatto, and it was a really good experience.

*Camo model

Last edited by Jorski; 09-10-2018 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Having worked in a dealership in sales I can tell you three fees are legitimate and not reimbursed in any way from the manufacturer.
  • Dealer shipping cost, back in the day it ranged from $50-150 depending on the bike size/weight.
  • Dealer set up of the motorcycle - they actually have set up books to give direction on what, how, and how tight for the build. Again ranged from about $50-150 depending on amount of assembly/prep and time it took.
  • Dealer document fees - at least in Ohio - they have to keep the paperwork records on file in a safe place for a minimum of seven years in Ohio and because of that Ohio, in around 2000 allowed a $250 dealer document fee for that purpose. We only charged it at $90.
Anything other than that is simply a less than honest dealer's way to jack up what you pay. But those three things are something no one does for free, no truck company will bring the bikes in for free, no one does set up and prep for free, and the space required for storage is not free.
Just letting you know what the reality is.

Obviously if a bike is a hot seller the price isn't going to drop much, fact is some dealers will jack them up over MSRP. Harley had that going on through the 1990s and 2000s. Not so much after the crash of 2007. We never did jack the prices, we just sold at MSRP with the fees, except for customers making the third or more purchase from us. You treat repeat customers right.

So know what is what and then figure what you feel is right to pay for the bike. Don't forget the quality of dealership in your pricing. Not always will the lowest priced dealership be the best buy. A good dealer is worth an extra C note.

I should mention there was a dealer in Michigan who quoted a price on a CBR954 at a grand less than we dd, but when all the fees were figured in, our three and their several, their bike was $3 more than ours. The guy drove around 400 miles round trip and a full day, to pay $3. The buyer showed us the paperwork and we copied it so we could show people how a dealer advertising under cost does it. They figure once you are there, you'll buy because you put all that effort into getting there.

One used to sell one bike and deliver another. One guy who bought a CR250R got an RM250 delivered. He accepted it, no idea what they said or why he took it. Be wary.

Last edited by klx678; 09-10-2018 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Around here the Kawasaki dealer definitely charges the freight fee ($350?), but virtually every bike in their shop is discounted below MSRP. They have told me that is all the fees, but I have never followed through.

Both local Honda dealers charge no fees at all, and also discount just about everything. I have bought from both of them and that's mostly honest. The title/license cost is maybe a little higher than if you just go to the county clerk and pay it yourself, but otherwise just sales tax.

EDIT: Meant to add...the local BMW/Ducati....tries to add about $2500 in fees whether it's a leftover $8k Triumph or a hot $25k BMW. And they are firm on it. I was set on getting an R1200R a couple years ago. Wouldn't budge. I went straight to Honda and never looked back. Our local KTM dealer is fantastic, though.

Last edited by wasaki; 09-11-2018 at 01:17 AM.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:17 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't know if that is in response to me. What I am saying is no matter what the price they put out there, those three fees along with the cost of the bike are fixed costs. They have to work with their numbers to make money. How they do it is up to them. Your Honda dealer is simply not showing you the fees in their numbers. They are still paying them. I don't know what the going freight fee is for bikes. That $350 may be high or no, don't know.

We tried about every honest way to price our bikes, from full list MSRP, including the fees in it, then dealing from there to putting the discounted cost plus fees. Didn't seem to make a big difference. We simply started working with a full list and fees and working down from there. The problem we often had was people coming in and either running off to get others to undercut us or people flat out lying about what they could buy the bike for at other dealers - we do talk with each other and we all know the other isn't selling good product at a loss. Either way, I learned that the best way to work deals is to work from the outside in - How much can you get the bike outside your area. The object being to buy the bike at the closest dealer that you like or is known for being good. Once you know about what you can get the bike for go to that dealer and see what they want to do. If it isn't better than what you want to pay tell them what it takes to sell the bike, open the check book or wallet to let them know if they do the deal you are buying NOW. That way you end up close to home at a place you want to deal with and easy to get to and from. You may feel it is worth a bit more to buy there, figure if there is value in what you are willing to pay.

Old 09-11-2018, 03:26 PM
1st Gear Member

No, klx678, not replying directly to you, just relating local experience. Of course you're right, their fixed costs are there somewhere no matter what they say. It's just that some of them inflate those secondary costs and use them for their bargaining. I prefer the ones that claim no fees, or just the set fees that are easily verified, like freight. Just easier to me.

For example to register a vehicle here costs about $50 if you do it yourself iirc. I've seen anything from $75 to $500 for this on an offer before. If you don't know what is fixed and customary, you are going to get taken to the bank by some of these places.

Using those Honda dealers as an example again. They both are agreed price + sales tax + registration. That's all they charge so it is simple. And they only cheat maybe $25 on the registration, which is worth it to me to not have to go to county clerk, pay separate if there was a loan, etc.

I'd be okay with the local Kawi, too, if it is as they have told me...because the $350 freight is easily verified on Kawasaki's site...

But vague, unverifiable things like 'set up fee' are never going to fly with me...

Last edited by wasaki; 09-11-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:43 PM
1st Gear Member

I wasn't sure. I just want people to realize how to support a shop they like while still getting what they feel is a fair deal. We had people who lived near by who shopped our price, then bought a hundred miles from home because they saved $50. All they had to do was call us and ask if we'd match the price to keep their business - if we had it to do, we'd do it. There were times when we couldn't, but given a chance we'd try. Key point, most extreme discount dealers end up out of business because they don't make enough to keep the doors open. They also may cut corners in service because they won't pay enough to keep the good technicians. It's about survival.

I keep that in mind most of the time when shopping, being willing to spend a bit more at places I want to stay in business. I don't worry too much about Home Depot and others keeping in business, but I do with the really great little hardware store that seems to have all the unusual metric hardware I need, same with Ace and the local owned Sears store. Same with favorite restaurants that aren't chains. I spend the extra $7-10 to eat there over Burger King.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:30 AM
1st Gear Member

I paid $5800

Old 09-16-2018, 06:23 PM
1st Gear Member

$5325 otd for me.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:57 PM
1st Gear Member

$5244 total. Not including 2% Delaware tax when I register it.

The KLX is on sale, and they really tacked it on, but I can't get it cheaper elsewhere.

I'm picking it up tomorrow. 😃