Pop-Off Seat Option

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 02:57 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Pop-Off Seat Option

I'd like to store various items under my seat. When riding off road, storage is a real concern. It seems to me it'd be smart to utilize the various crevices of space under there. In all the years Kawasaki has built this bike, you'd think someone would have thought of this. My buddy has a Beta 390 with a simple hand-twist **** at the rear of his seat, I'd like to do the same. My thought is cut off the two vertical mounting points, drill a hole through the rear seat that alignes with steal underneath where a nut can be permanently mounted. Thoughts or ideas?

Old 05-11-2018, 03:36 PM
1st Gear Member

With the air intake under there you better be careful, a stray rag or anything that covers part of the opening can shut your engine off. Had friends who did that.

If you don't have rack mounts or other stuff at the seat bolts you can fit quarter turn fasteners at the seat bolts. The easiest option is to simply get a bigger bag in place of the tool bag, big enough for whatever you might stick under the seat. Here's one ready to bolt on.

Old 05-12-2018, 03:52 AM
1st Gear Member

After riding with a fiend who has a husky and dumped it in a river, the way he quickly took of his seat to drain the air box made me real jealous. I wanted to do the same thing.

Basically had the same thoughts as you. Grind those metal tips, drill a hole and install the quick release hardware.

The possible problem i see is that there’s no solid location for everything to bolt to. All that’s there under the seat (in what I see as the best location) is the plastic that separates the rear wheel from under the seat. It’s probably strong enough but not sure what will be sticking out on the wheel side and if it could get rubbed by the wheel on a major bottom.

I didn’t spend much time looking at what type of systems there are out there to use. But something probably could be used or modified to work.

Think I’ll look into this some more. I’ve unscrewed those seat bolts so many times over the years that I’ve stripped them out long ago. Been using a helicoil knockoff that works but I need to put new ones in every year as they slowly slide out.

Old 05-12-2018, 04:10 AM
1st Gear Member

This is one of those not impossible mods but a lot of preplanning/mock up work. I have come to appreciate the huskys 1/4 turn zdus fastener holding the seat in place.
I know it can be done but it’s gonna be a lot of work. A backpack would be miles cheaper/easier... Enough time & effort anything can be overcome.

Old 05-12-2018, 03:12 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Having a quick release seat can be handy for some instances, but I don't think storage is one of them. Unless you're solely on pavement...then why have a KLX anyway...you may find stored items to chafe and rub against the wiring harness and or individual wires as you bounce and vibrate on rough terrain. I don't think there's enough room for storage under a KLX saddle to make it worthwhile anyway.

I ended up using a front fender bag from MSR on my front fender and then mounted two of the decently sized fender bags mounted to my side panels/covers. I used the provided hooks and a zip tie setup to secure them. I also added a fender bag to the number section of my front number plate above the headlight. I ride singletrack and fairly gnarly off road as a rule, and I've never had these items come loose.

Storing items under the cramped area of the seat of most dirt bikes is generally not that great an idea unless it's something very small and not prone to rubbing, bouncing, or chaffing.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Thinking about this again...

The seat tabs (or whatever they’re called) gets pressed together with what’s around it when you tighten the bolts, right? So even if they’ve been cut so they can be pulled out without unscrewing, won’t they be a bitch to put back in? Essentially impossible without loosening both bolts and retightening? That would kinda defeat the purpose of a quick release. Unless the plan is to completely lop them off and use some kind of spacer in their places.

Thoughts?

Old 05-14-2018, 12:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Dzus. Do whatever is necessary to attach the lock spring, or whatever they call it, in place of the seat weld nut...

Old 05-14-2018, 03:37 PM
1st Gear Member

This is my current storage set-up, T-Bag Tank Bag, altered to the tail. Far larger than most anyone else's I've seen. It works great, thousands of off-road miles tested. I'd still like to have the below seat space available though.