2007 KLX250 Won't Idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 12:01 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 2007 KLX250 Won't Idle

Hi all.

I have a new to me 2007 KLX250 and I think I have an issue.

I did the valves and went to the very loose side of the specs. I also did the KLX300 needle and jets.

The issue is that it will start with the enricher on, and it seems to run well at high rpm. The issue is that I cannot take the enricher off, even after it has been running for minutes. When I push in the enricher close to off, the bike sputters and sounds pretty "clanky" and it simply won't run at all without the enricher.

I have done valves many times on my KLR, but this is the first with the KLX. Does this sound like I have messed up the timing? Valves maybe too loose?

Maybe my automatic cam adjuster failed and it jumped a tooth?

Basically, I am trying to figure out if the timing can cause this sort of issue. I will have to open it up and see, but I thought I would get some opinions first.

Thanks for the help.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:42 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

My far away internet mechanical diagnosis thinks it sounds like a plugged pilot jet.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
My far away internet mechanical diagnosis thinks it sounds like a plugged pilot jet.
It is probably better than my "close to the actual issue" mechanical abilities! I will certainly give that a go. I cleaned it a few weeks ago, but then I left it with gas in it. I guess those little holes are pretty easy to clog.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:59 AM

I am going to ask the obvious - you haven't adjusted the fast idle screw way to low so when you come off the enricher the bike dies ???

Old 05-15-2015, 12:01 PM
1st Gear Member

If it is a plugged jet, now would be a good time to install an inline fuel filter. It happened to me once, never after the filter install.
You'll be able to fix it.
Check murray083's suggestion too.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Once the idle mix needle is set around 2-2.5 turns out if it doesn't idle it is either the pilot jet being plugged or the idle mixture circuit.

It is common on bikes that sit so long that the fuel in the float bowl dries out into a crust in the float bowl. Then when fresh gas is introduced it will cause that crust to jell and easily plug the idle mix circuit or jet. The jet is easy to clean with a pin that will fit. Be careful though, scratching about in a jet can cause minute damage that will affect flow.

If the body is plugged it is often near impossible to clean by simple means with spray and air unless you have a stroke of good fortune. It usually requires either a good carb cleaner machine or ultrasonic machine to get the cleaner up into the clog and break it down. If a local shop can do it have them run the stripped body in the cleaner for a few hours or whatever they find works.

Living in Ohio where bikes may be parked for six months or more and working in a bike shop for about 22 years full and part time I can tell you that is very common. We had a run on carb cleaning every spring and would tell people about draining carbs and using StaBil. Personally I sidestepped it I either rode the bikes often enough or, being fortunate to have manual petcock bikes, I left the gas on and it would keep the bowl filled, no goo. Drain in spring and start up.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by murray083
I am going to ask the obvious - you haven't adjusted the fast idle screw way to low so when you come off the enricher the bike dies ???
I don't think so, as I did have it running well a few weeks ago. It is, however, something I will check.

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
If it is a plugged jet, now would be a good time to install an inline fuel filter. It happened to me once, never after the filter install.
You'll be able to fix it.
Check murray083's suggestion too.
Yeah, I have an inline on my KLR and I haven't had any issues. I think I will put something on. I see there is a small screen filter that fits right into the fuel inlet of the carb. Is that not good enough?

Originally Posted by klx678
Once the idle mix needle is set around 2-2.5 turns out if it doesn't idle it is either the pilot jet being plugged or the idle mixture circuit.
I am at 2.5 turns out, so I think it must be the pilot. Hopefully it is just a clogged pilot and not the circuit itself. I just put on a new Acerbis tank, and am wondering if some debris from that didn't get into the carb somehow.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will try out a few of the things mentioned and see how it goes.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:47 PM
1st Gear Member

This would be a good time to order a new set of jets from Jets-R-Us or another supplier. If you're going to have it out anyway you may as well just replace the jets.
It's cheap enough and it will run better.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:42 PM
1st Gear Member

What happens at 1.5 turns out on the fuel adj screw?

Old 05-16-2015, 03:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Looks like the pilot was clogged up a bit. Once I cleaned it out, I was able to turn off the enricher pretty much right away. Excellent!

Now, one thing I notice is that it is a bit boggy off idle. It isn't bad, but it isn't as crisp off the throttle as I like.

Durielk: It is at 2.5 turns out right now. Would turning it in a bit maybe deal with that slight bog?

Quick Reply: 2007 KLX250 Won't Idle