2007 KLX250 Throttle cable question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 05:48 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 2007 KLX250 Throttle cable question

Hi folks,

My 07 had a sticky throttle that got worse to a point where it would stick open unless manually closed. I took apart the entire assembly today and cleaned, lubed the throttle cam, hit the cable with some lube as well and put it back together. Unfortunately, I still have the sticking issue. From what I can see, the return cable has too much slack in it, and won't close the slide.

I am inclined to just buy new cables anyway. Question: I have a ProTaper "KX Hi" bend handle bar so does that influence the type/length of cables I need to buy? I can see plenty of motion pro cables on eBay, just want to make sure I get the right one.

Also, is there any specific procedure to set the freeplay and slack? I have always just done it by feel - adjust at the throttle assembly end first, then adjust down at the carb end just as long as everything is just tight enough. Is there more to this?

Thanks a lot.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:33 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Don't blame the cable right off the bat, how is the throttle tube? Sometimes the cables are fine, but the tube is rubbing on the end or junk got in under it. I would pull it off the bars and make sure its clean and not bent or that the grip is not rubbing on the end of the bar.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:45 PM
1st Gear Member

have an extra throttle tube assembly if you want to barter or buy..

Old 02-19-2013, 03:48 PM
1st Gear Member

What deej said. Disconnect the cables at the carb and how the throttle feels then.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Lol. Right in my first paragraph I said I checked, cleaned and lubed the throttle cam. Maybe I am using the incorrect terminology - by cam I mean the plastic tube.

I disconnected the deceleration cable and the throttle snaps back instantly now. Surely the decel cable was messed up.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Any visible defects on that decel cable?

Old 02-20-2013, 12:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Have you removed the control pod? Maybe it's binding inside it? I took mine off, put it back on, but the cables slipped while I was fiddling with the screw in the housing, didn't notice, and it didn't work so well. Luckily that was all I was messing with, so I knew what it was.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:28 PM
1st Gear Member

I've encountered the same thing over the years. Yesterday when installing the BB pumper carb, I noticed it dragging a lot, as the throttle tube was binding at a few places. I don't know why it was binding, but after taking it apart and putting it back together a couple times, it's now smooth as silk. I wish I knew what it was, but it's worth messing with again.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:48 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm having this issue. I figured out the problem is the gas tank stretches the cable tubing, which makes the cable rub on the tubing, causing it to not snap back quickly.

I had it working nice, but then had to pull the gas tank off again to fix the ****ty stock fuel line from the tank to the petcock (old and leaking like ****, put vent clips on tight).

I'm going to mess around with it again tmr, but does anyone have experience with this? Maybe there's a better procedure than mucking around with how the gas tank sits until it starts snapping back properly?

Thanks

Old 01-22-2022, 03:40 PM
Default Throttle cable sticks when bars fully turned.

Originally Posted by 2006KLX250S
I'm having this issue. I figured out the problem is the gas tank stretches the cable tubing, which makes the cable rub on the tubing, causing it to not snap back quickly.

I had it working nice, but then had to pull the gas tank off again to fix the ****ty stock fuel line from the tank to the petcock (old and leaking like ****, put vent clips on tight).

I'm going to mess around with it again tmr, but does anyone have experience with this? Maybe there's a better procedure than mucking around with how the gas tank sits until it starts snapping back properly?

Thanks
i know this is a lot of years later, but did find a solution? I’m having the same problem on my 2013 KLX250s

Quick Reply: 2007 KLX250 Throttle cable question