'18 KLX250 mod suggestions

Old 02-23-2018, 10:21 PM
Oso
Default '18 KLX250 mod suggestions

hey all, just picked up a new klx250, am looking for mod suggestions
new to dirt riding just starting this year
ive got so far a yoshi fender elimnator, swmotech skid plate, and some bark busters

anything else that really helps with these bikes? and do the parts from the older carb'd gen fit?

(also links to where to buy them would be awesome, having hard time finding stuff on sites for this bike, especially in canada. thanks!)

Old 02-24-2018, 12:56 AM

I swapped out the front sprocket, dropped one tooth, huge help on and off road. also swapped the exhaust with a SS70 9" Stainless Steel Oval Muffler to fit KLX250 (2009-2016). A perfect fix and includes the O2 bunghole! A littel loulder then I would like noteable power increase. Delkevic has longer units which migh muffle a bit better but I was looking for max power and the least weight.

Next im going to order a Chinese power bomb knockoff to tone down the noise and hopefully get a little more bottom end grunt.

I’m running the stock fueling, no map/fuel mods with super results. Finally I can pull wheelies!

Old 02-24-2018, 05:04 AM
1st Gear Member

How much do you weigh? One of the LAST mods I did, that I should have done FIRST, was the suspension. I was kicking myself after installing the new springs. Made a world of difference. Also, a larger gas tank. I wish I had bought that first.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:26 AM
1st Gear Member

kx 450 plastics front and back, seat concepts seat, and good tires to fit your riding style before you do exhaust

Old 02-25-2018, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by outrecording
How much do you weigh? One of the LAST mods I did, that I should have done FIRST, was the suspension. I was kicking myself after installing the new springs. Made a world of difference. Also, a larger gas tank. I wish I had bought that first.
What did you use for a new tank? I have a 1 Gal roto pack that I strap to the back Not the best method.

I weigh 155 LBS, 5 over what the bike was designed around. I guess I'm lucky to be average asian size Its about time! My last bike was a GSX750 and I was far to light to get any reasonable preload from the stock spring. I gave the KLX one revolution more spring load and am now sitting dead center of the travel.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Randyleip
What did you use for a new tank? I have a 1 Gal roto pack that I strap to the back Not the best method.

I weigh 155 LBS, 5 over what the bike was designed around. I guess I'm lucky to be average asian size Its about time! My last bike was a GSX750 and I was far to light to get any reasonable preload from the stock spring. I gave the KLX one revolution more spring load and am now sitting dead center of the travel.
oh wow, lucky for sure! Sounds like you’ll be fine for suspension unless you want to revalve in the future. But not necessarily a priority.

I’ve got the IMS tank, but only because it was the only choice available for the EFI bikes. A little larger would be better but even a few liters more makes a big difference for me. I still carry a one liter fuel bottle just in case.

I used to to carry the 1 gallon rotopax water, but i think it helped contribute to my broken subframe. (Was riding way too hard for that much weight, plus dry bag on the back) So def be careful

Old 02-27-2018, 03:45 PM
Oso

im 6'4 about 280 lbs, definitely exceeding the suspension of the bike

i wasnt sure who to go with for a suspension upgrade. i checked with Ohlins and they said they dont make anything.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:18 PM
1st Gear Member

You're new to dirt biking, right?
You probably then don't need top-of-the-line Ohlins unless you just have money burning holes in your pockets.
Find a suspension shop to rebuild the stock forks and shock or do it yourself if you have a little mechanical aptitude. Proper spring weight will go a LONG way to making the bike safer and more enjoyable. I re-sprung my bike and it was pretty easy. Race Tech has an on-line spring weight calculator, but my little local dirt bike shop called them while I was there and talked through the best springs for my mass, bike mods and riding style. Then I had my little shop re-valve the forks with Race Tech Gold Valve kit, then later do the same to the shock. If you ride whoops, you'll notice the forks pack up because the stock valves don't flow enough on rebound. If you don't aggressively ride those kind of bumpy trails, just start with re-springing.

I didn't use these guys, but a number of members here have and said GREAT things about John. Small ma and pop shop who have really taken the time to know the KLX250. motoprosuspension
Peruse the FAQs in my sig line. You'll find lots of info about suspension and other mods.

Oh, and by the way, at 6'4" you're pretty tall for this bike. A Yam WR250 may fit you better.

Think about a tall seat (at 6'1" here, it makes a nice difference on opening the legs a little), and 2+ inch bar risers with extended throttle and clutch cables.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 02-27-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Wider footpegs helped me a whole bunch.
I got these, there are many cheaper one's and some more expensive.
https://www.imsproducts.com/Products...=true&tyd=true

Congratulations on getting the bike! Excepting fuel injection and the different gas tank required, everything on the 2018 is identical to the '09 - '14 models.

Old 02-27-2018, 05:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Oso
im 6'4 about 280 lbs, definitely exceeding the suspension of the bike

i wasnt sure who to go with for a suspension upgrade. i checked with Ohlins and they said they dont make anything.

Any experienced rider here will tell you your OEM suspension can be modified to perform beyond 95%of the riders' needs. In other words only the best would notice the difference going to something like Ohlins or the like.

Race Tech has the ability to revalve your shock and provide a spring to match your weight and riding style, they also do the Gold Valve for the front forks and I think a rear shock Gold Valve that could be installed by a competent shop in your area.. A number of riders here have done modified stock suspension and done well. That is the advantage of the rebuildable shock and forks - you can modify them and be darn near as good as the best. Combined cost for both ends would be significantly less than the price of the Ohlins shock.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '18 KLX250 mod suggestions