Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   '10 KLX250s with KLX300r exhaust question (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/10-klx250s-klx300r-exhaust-question-36751/)

sebnad 10-19-2011 10:31 PM

'10 KLX250s with KLX300r exhaust question

Hi, I've been reading a lot lately to find the best cheap mod for my KLX. I'm kinda low on cash lately but would like to get a little more out of the bike. Decided I was gonna go with the KDX snorkel, Dynojet and probably put a 44 or 45 rear sprocket, don't wanna lose to much high speed. Exhaust mod are expensive but I found a used stock KLX300 complete exhaust system for around 200$ and was wondering if it was worth it. Do you think that I will see a 200$ difference or should I stick with the snorkel, Dynojet and sprocket mod?

Thank You

Lutz 10-19-2011 10:56 PM

I put a complete stock KLX300 system on my bike. It defintely made a difference. A $200 difference? I don't think so, but I guess that's up to you. You can find them much cheaper than that. I'd think you could find a used aftermarket slip on for around the same price or less, and have as good or better power.

I bought mine for $45 and thought is was very worth it at that price.

The main advantage over most aftermarket systems is that the OEM pipe requires zero maintenance.

LikesToThump 10-20-2011 01:02 AM

I feel as though I am very much in you shoes sebnad, because I too will be buying an exhaust system soon; along with some sort of airbox mod and a jet kit... but at 270 shipped for a FMF, its only 70 bucks more and your getting a much better looking/sounding(arguably) exhaust, even if it is not the full system I bet it would be similar to the full klx300 setup at least in terms of flow.

As far as the OEM pipe requiring zero maintenance I will agree for the most part, however my service manual recommends removing the carbon plugs on the exhaust and tapping the muffle lightly with the engine running to loosen sediment buildup in the exhaust from time to time (not saying there ever is).

linkin5 10-20-2011 01:20 AM

$200 is too much for a stock exhaust, I'd go with used or new aftermarket.

Lutz 10-20-2011 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by LikesToThump (Post 457050)
... but at 270 shipped for a FMF, its only 70 bucks more and your getting a much better looking/sounding(arguably) exhaust, even if it is not the full system I bet it would be similar to the full klx300 setup at least in terms of flow. ...

Just in case you guys aren't already aware...the stock KLX300 head pipe is the same diameter as the stock KLX250 head pipe - no flow advantage there. The advantage the stock 300 muffler has is that you can remove the 'butt plug' to gain significant flow compared to the 250 muffler. Well, there is a very slight weight advantage too, but not nearly as much as an aftermarket slip on will offer. And remember, if using OEM parts, you can't mix and match the 300 muffler to 250 head pipe, and vice versa; it's a somewhat different story with aftermarket headers and mufflers.

Bottom line: an aftermarket slip on for a 250S will be on (at least) the same level performance wise as a full stock 300R system.

On the zero maintenance aspect you're correct: the manual does call for removing the plugs...but like you say, there's never anything there anyway.

sebnad 10-20-2011 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by LikesToThump (Post 457050)
but at 270 shipped for a FMF, its only 70 bucks more and your getting a much better looking/sounding(arguably) exhaust, even if it is not the full system I bet it would be similar to the full klx300 setup at least in terms of flow.

The problem is, I'm in Canada and can't find a decent place to buy it cheap. From USA, cheapest i found was 300$ + 50$ shipping + taxes and customs fees. Could work if I could find a cheap used one though.

IDRIDR 10-20-2011 02:44 AM

Are you trying to keep the bike quiet too? If so, that may be a good reason for the 300 muffler and snorkel. If you don't mind some noise, a used aftermarket slip-on may be found for a bit less.

I'm running an HMF slip-on picked up for around $140 ttl from fleabay.

Instead of the 45 rear sprocket, which may require a longer chain, how about switching the front from 14 to 13? One tooth on the front is about equal to 3 on the rear. That should save a few bucks.

And you could try the stock snorkel removed or lid off while you're jetting.

sebnad 10-20-2011 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by IDRIDR (Post 457072)
Are you trying to keep the bike quiet too?

Yes, want to keep it quiet. HMF are too loud. What I wanted to do was to get a Megabomb header with the Q4 and do the mod T_I_G_E_R did with the quiet insert but can't do it because of $$$.

turnsleft 10-20-2011 06:18 AM

If you are going with a power bomb you might want to get a heat shield to save you riding pants/leg.:D

http://turnsleft.smugmug.com/Other/2...IMGP0785-L.jpg

CousinLarry 10-20-2011 11:15 AM

Don't waste your money on the snorkel, and get an aftermarket exhaust.

The end.