09 klx 250 shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Default 09 klx 250 shifting problem

I have an '09 klx 250s that is in neutral and will not shift into gear. The shift lever will move and is still spring loaded but no gear will engage. Was doing some trail riding in first and it seemed like it was in second, shifted to neutral and that was it. No noises or anything. Any ideas??

Old 06-13-2011, 01:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ernieb
I have an '09 klx 250s that is in neutral and will not shift into gear. The shift lever will move and is still spring loaded but no gear will engage. Was doing some trail riding in first and it seemed like it was in second, shifted to neutral and that was it. No noises or anything. Any ideas??
Can you hold the clutch in and hold the shifter down, and then roll it into gear? Have you changed the oil lately? Does it have oil in it?

Old 06-13-2011, 03:19 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Lets get the facts. Will it no longer go into first gear, or are you having trouble getting it into first gear but it will still go in? Are you stopping in 2nd or 3rd? Because if thats the case then you have to pull in the clutch, push slightly on the shifter and let the clutch out half way and it will pop right in. Let us know what the dealio is.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:20 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Oh I see that was your first post, so Welcome to the forums! Is this your first bike? Post up an intro in the new members area, and tell us where you ride or live and what your experience level is.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:50 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Are you the same guy over on ADV who twisted his shifter into a pretzel last weekend with a similar problem and question?

Old 06-13-2011, 05:31 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

shift drum

Old 06-13-2011, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by oldfart_newrider
Can you hold the clutch in and hold the shifter down, and then roll it into gear? Have you changed the oil lately? Does it have oil in it?
The oil is fine. I change it often. With the clutch in and rolling the bike, it won't go into any gear. The shifter feels normal (spring loaded) but nothing catches. It's just in neutral.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:12 PM
1st Gear Member

The oil is fine. I change it often. With the clutch in and rolling the bike, it won't go into any gear. The shifter feels normal (spring loaded) but nothing catches. It's just in neutral.
Is it the same for clutch out and rolling the bike (engine off)? Or will it go into gear then?

Old 06-13-2011, 07:36 PM

It won't go into any gear with clutch in or out with engine started or off. I'm not the same guy from ADV. It seems as if the connection from the shifter shaft to the shifting forks is nonexistant.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:44 PM
1st Gear Member

You may have broken one of the "pegs" off of the shift drum star (I believe Kawasaki calls it the shift drum cam). Did you fall on the left side or wack the shift lever against something?

Quick Reply: 09 klx 250 shifting problem