***UPDATE*** New brakes, new back tire, and of course detailing! ***UPDATE***

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffsta
Don't you worry about bending the rim with those humongous tire irons? It was a PITA using the little 6 or 8 inchers when we did all of our tires in December, but even with them it seemed like we were close to tweaking the rim. I'm pretty sure we're investing in one of those tire stands for the next go-round of rubber... what a pain. I want some better rubber (even though the Dunlops are wearing well) but giving up a Saturday and functioning of my hands for a week sounds like a bust until its necessary

Lookin' good!

If you are almost bending the rim, then you don't have the opposite side of the tire down far enough to relieve the side you are working on. The Dunlop 606 is a really stiff tire, probably 3 times as stiff as the Kenda, and it went on like butter. Make sure to use some glass cleaner before trying to pop the beads on.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tmoe
i had to look at the first few pics very closely to make sure they were actually deej's bike! i didn't think it ever got dirty!lol!
did a little cleanin on my bike too. tryin to keep up with the deej is hard work

WOW! Your bike is almost as clean as mine. Man there is something awesome about the red bike. I think secretly we all love red because it reminds us of the old Honda days........well if you are old enough to remember the Honda days Looking good man.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:51 PM
1st Gear Member

the "shark finned" remark was in reference to the bend on the front sprocket teeth Deej. Not only that but they seem to be spreading out some. Jsac could be right. Maybe it's just the picture.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lcpl0331
the "shark finned" remark was in reference to the bend on the front sprocket teeth Deej. Not only that but they seem to be spreading out some. Jsac could be right. Maybe it's just the picture.

Oh I see. Well as I looked at it, and remember that pictures can distort the real thing, the teeth all looked perfect and not pulled back at all.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry deej, but I'm with lcpl0331......It looks like you are due for a new set of sprockets. BTW....Is it true you should always replace both sprockets and the chain at the same time? Is there a time when you can get away just replacing one of the three? I've always wondered what is the proper approach.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member

i just replaced all on mine.. it makes sense that bad wear on one component would transfer to the others. if only one component is replaced versus all you would speed the wear on the new part as the others wouldnt seat quite right..

Old 04-13-2009, 12:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Deej, Change the brake fluid. Its contaminated.
No way should it be brown like that. Look at what comes out of a can of new fluid, its clear.
Use the new synthetic stuff, it will last a long time, and no brake fade under heavy braking. Its simple to change, crack the bleeder, let it run empty. Refill it again with the bleeder open, it will gravity bleed, then do a couple pressure bleeds. Done.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Mudjunkie: You could get away with replacing just one component out of the setup if that's all that's bad. If you're using the stock chain, REPLACE everything. Its a POS, I don't care what IG or others say. But if you invest in a good, gold-plate chain you could get away with changing just the sprockets as long as the chain isn't stretched.

Deej: That brake fluid does look kinda gross. Mine isn't clear, but it doesn't look ratty like that...

Old 04-13-2009, 04:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Hmmmmm ok I guess I should take another look at the brake fluid, thanks guys. Is it something I can get at the auto parts store (carquest?)

Old 04-13-2009, 04:30 PM
1st Gear Member

DOT4 is what you need and you can get it anywhere even Walmart.

Quick Reply: ***UPDATE*** New brakes, new back tire, and of course detailing! ***UPDATE***