Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KF Help & Suggestion Center (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/kf-help-suggestion-center-8/)
-   -   starts fine, runs pretty good, then dies (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/kf-help-suggestion-center-8/starts-fine-runs-pretty-good-then-dies-32051/)

MooMooAsianAlcohol 03-31-2010 11:49 PM

starts fine, runs pretty good, then dies

been riding my klx300 for a week or so, mostly on the road, been running OK. now it quits after a short while of riding, it will start up again after a few minutes and run. only to die again. right before it dies the light is still on and the motor running, but giving it gas just floods it, and giving it gas or not it dies soon there after. Power core 4 exhaust, dyno jet kit, airbox lid removed all done by previous owner. any ideas why it quits?

Dragone#19 04-01-2010 01:31 AM

Welcome to KF and congrats on the new toy.

What happens when you try the choke before it dies? It could be as simple as having some gunk in the carb, or fuel filter.

jeffzx9 04-01-2010 11:08 AM

What does your spark plug tell you?
Welcome to KF!

hoedogg 04-01-2010 02:32 PM

i gotta here whats behind the screen name...lol:D welcome to KF

deej 04-01-2010 02:45 PM

LOL "starts fine, runs pretty good, then dies" Hahahahaha I thought that was the title to another story by the Worlok.....hehehehehehehehe BAM!

MooMooAsianAlcohol 04-01-2010 05:46 PM

hey and thanks for the welcome. I think it is a fuel delivery problem or an electrical problem. Not sure which. I will check the plug color and report back on that, and if it dies again I will see if it still has spark. I am thinking that it may be that the main jet is the wrong size or I have some gunk somnewhere in the fuel system that gets caught in a bad spot every once in a while. it has quit on me after 20 min of highway one time, 5 mins the other time, and about 10-15 mins the other time. it all seems to happen when I am whomping on the top end in 6th gear. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

MooMooAsianAlcohol 04-05-2010 03:26 PM

ok. So, I took off the carb and cleaned it, put in a new spark plug, and changed the oil. The plug that came out looked pretty bad... dirt and gunk near the threads, and black around the tip. I switched the main jet from #128 to #124. And I kneaded some excess oil out of the air filter with a paper towel. now it starts on the first kick and runs pretty good, but I was riding to work today and it quit on me again. I pulled the choke out and kicked it over, it started right up. I rode with the choke on for a minute, and I made it to work. I love everything about the bike except that it quits at random. Any help would be appreciated.

chuch g 10-23-2022 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by MooMooAsianAlcohol (Post 414020)
been riding my klx300 for a week or so, mostly on the road, been running OK. now it quits after a short while of riding, it will start up again after a few minutes and run. only to die again. right before it dies the light is still on and the motor running, but giving it gas just floods it, and giving it gas or not it dies soon there after. Power core 4 exhaust, dyno jet kit, airbox lid removed all done by previous owner. any ideas why it quits?

myne do the same