wiring issue on 87

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 09:00 PM
Default wiring issue on 87

hey guys i got a 87 kdx 200 and when i got it it was completely stripped down except for the plastics and the engine. all of the electrical was gone the stator wires wer broken and the magnet on the flywheel i guess was broken and fallen out. ive got a new stator and flywheel for it and im trying to figure out what kind of wiring i need to get to get the bike running. ive seen a few wiring diagrams saying wires from the stator run to the "cdi" is this the coil? and if not i need to get one. and is there a wiring harness that runs between the cdi and the stator and the cdi and the ignition coil. this is the first dirtbike ive really dug into this deep and id like to get it running for a weekend toy. im not worried about having lights on it at this time so i dont know if that makes a difference or not. any help will be greatly appreciated

Old 06-03-2014, 09:44 PM
1st Gear Member

The cdi is not the coil. The cdi is the brains that make it work. Do you need a coil also? I looked on ebay and found a wiring harness and a cdi. The harness looks pretty simple, and also fairly inexpensive.

Here's a pic of the cdi that is listed for an 87 KDX 200

I've been looking for a KDX220 for a year or so now.
Not to turn you away from KF, but the guys over on this forum seem to know their KDXs and the forum is quite active. I'd pose the question over there also. Let us know how your project turns out.

~ K D X R I D E R . N E T ~ • Portal

Last edited by IDRIDR; 06-03-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:15 PM

alright thanks ill have to check those forums out as well. and i got to looking through the box of stuff that i had for it and it turns out i already have the cdi box. never knew what it was though. my next question is how do i go about testing the coil ive read doing resistance checks but would i do it across the white/red wire and the black for the cdi signal and the yellow and black for the lighting i guess?

Old 06-04-2014, 01:25 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm not sure on checking your coil. Try to find a service manual.
Good thing you have the cdi. Those are pricey.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:32 PM

yeah i started looking online before i found mine and found out it wasnt cheap if i needed it. i think the cheapest i found was around 70 but it was used and you never know what youre getting with stuff like that. and ill see about finding the service manual so i can make sure i have a good coil