Kawasaki Mule Discuss the multi purpose Mule within.

question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 02:44 AM
Default question

I have a 97 mule 2 wheel drive, with a cvt problem that I would like to know if there is anyone who can tell me whats going on.
When started the belt between the primary and secondary, starts the secondary moving. Having watched many u tube vids I know it is not
to engage till the rpm rise. I took the primary apart and replaced all the worn out parts and it now opens enough at idle not to squeeze the belt,
yet the secondary still turns causing grinding of the gears as I try to shift.
Since it is over 10 years old, no shop will work on it.
Thanks for any and all help.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Hello redwhiteanbluemule.
You have done a great job if you have rebuilt the drive (primary clutch).
The driven clutches are shimmed. There are different part numbers for different thickness shims. I'd suggest that the secondary is not shimmed enough and it is tight on the belt this causing the problem at idle.

The Factory Workshop Manual will have all of the tolerances that can be measured and is a great starting place.

Old 02-16-2019, 03:10 AM
Default Thank you

[Thank you for that info. I have the manual and will look into it more, and share what I come up with as well as asking more questions if I am still unable to fix it. Again thank you.

QUOTE=bpmule;545096]Hello redwhiteanbluemule.
The driven clutches are shimmed. There are different part numbers for different thickness shims. I'd suggest that the secondary is not shimmed enough and it is tight on the belt this causing the problem at idle.

The Factory Workshop Manual will have all of the tolerances that can be measured and is a great starting place.[/QUOTE]

Old 02-16-2019, 05:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redwhiteanbluemule
[Thank you for that info. I have the manual and will look into it more, and share what I come up with as well as asking more questions if I am still unable to fix it. Again thank you.

QUOTE=bpmule;545096]Hello redwhiteanbluemule.

The Factory Workshop Manual will have all of the tolerances that can be measured and is a great starting place.
[/QUOTE]
If you are comfortable providing me your email address, feel free to message me privately via this Forum.

I am happy to help if you have further questions.

Best regards.