Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   Kawasaki Mule (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/kawasaki-mule-57/)
-   -   3010 diesel rebuild? (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/kawasaki-mule-57/3010-diesel-rebuild-45920/)

wburns 08-12-2018 02:19 AM

3010 diesel rebuild?

Good evening all,

Acquired a 2004 3010 diesel from my in-laws today. Was told it was completely blown up. Jumper box and a little creativity, I drove it on the trailer after sitting for 3+ years.

My understanding is that the dahaitsu diesels are junk, and the general lack of finding good used parts on ebay etc. seems to agree.

That being said, I'm fairly certain this thing at least needs a cylinder head. Has anyone ever swapped to ARP studs etc. when doing a head on one of these? I'm a tech by trade and repair other people's stuff for a living. I'd like to only fix this mule once if possible so my wife and I can use it without worry. I'm fairly certain at this point the wise thing would be to just completely rebuild the engine, but I'm still up in the air. (Speedo shows 14k miles on this!)

Has anyone ever personally done at least a head? Possibly bearings and such as well?

Thanks!
Will

Rob9876 08-13-2018 05:28 PM

About the only active discussions on this forum revolve around KLX 250S bikes. You may have better luck at this forum:

Kawasaki ATV and Mule - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

or this one is even more focused:

https://www.kawieriders.com/forum/

bpmule 08-14-2018 01:42 AM

You may find this helpful:-
https://www.slideshare.net/jksemdjks...-repair-manual

Russ@holly1 12-12-2023 03:22 AM

over heats

Originally Posted by wburns (Post 543005)
Good evening all,

Acquired a 2004 3010 diesel from my in-laws today. Was told it was completely blown up. Jumper box and a little creativity, I drove it on the trailer after sitting for 3+ years.

My understanding is that the dahaitsu diesels are junk, and the general lack of finding good used parts on ebay etc. seems to agree.

That being said, I'm fairly certain this thing at least needs a cylinder head. Has anyone ever swapped to ARP studs etc. when doing a head on one of these? I'm a tech by trade and repair other people's stuff for a living. I'd like to only fix this mule once if possible so my wife and I can use it without worry. I'm fairly certain at this point the wise thing would be to just completely rebuild the engine, but I'm still up in the air. (Speedo shows 14k miles on this!)

Has anyone ever personally done at least a head? Possibly bearings and such as well?

Thanks!
Will

Yes. Very early ones broke cranks on belt drive side. No other damage was done. Yes I have replaced heads etc. On the metal water cooling tubes check to see if thier is paint in them. Coolant makes the paint come off and plugs up the radiator. Over heats and the head cracks.

Fetlarmech 12-13-2023 08:14 AM

3010 head replace

Good evening all,

Thanks!
Will

​​​​​​hi just replacing the head on one, normal problem ,head had a crack in it, replacement , (could only get new), over£1000, now waiting on new injectors .have fun

abishoff 01-18-2024 02:38 PM

Good evening all,

Thanks!
Will

I picked up a used 3010 and it needs a head gasket or head which seems to be a common problem. I’d love to go in with head studs as well, have you figured out a part number? I’m also thinking I might not use a thermostat in this since I’ve read that went they go bad it is part of the issue that builds pressure to cause the head gasket leak.