Kawasaki Jet Ski's One, Two & Three Passenger Jet Ski talk within here.

2001 900 STS Primer Kits

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Default 2001 900 STS Primer Kits

Hey all I just picked up a 900 STS with just 60 hours.Had it inspected by a full time Ski mechanic.He recommends installing a primer kit on all Kawasaki/Yamaha skis.
Sure enough the ski only sat for 2 days after we go it home and it took a LONG time to get the ski to start.
I am wondering if anyone has any links for how to's on installing these kits.
I am also new to PWC's in general so any overall maintenance/best practices info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,Vic

Old 08-30-2012, 08:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Lots of guys do add primer kits. You can get 'em from dealers, and off the web. There are different versions... some are easier to use than others. Personally, I don't use any.
Here's some tips to start up quicker, without primers: Turn on the gas several minutes before starting... lets the gravity feed system fill the carbs. Make sure the choke really does close fully.... check the cable system. Give it a shot of WD-40 (flamable, but has a lubricaion quality) into the flame arrestor (this is where some engines are easier to get at the carb throat.... actually the 900 is not so easy as the air entry holes are up from the bottom... you could just drill a small access hole over each throat... but that's up to you.) If you install a real primer kit, decide whether you want to plumb it to the outside, or are you willing to pop the seat off to prime it? Do you want to tap the main fuel lines (no oil yet), or supply the primer from a small added tank with pre-mix. Remember the factory built these without primers... are you just compensating for some poor carb situation that ought to be fixed in the first place?
Anyway.... prime or don't... your choice...there are guys on both sides of the argument... probably works OK either way.