General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ZX7R Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Default ZX7R Electrical Problems

Anyone got a ZX7R?.....

I've a little electrical problem with the bike.... which has stumped me for weeks and meant the bike is off the road - coz it won't run!

It's a UK Spec 1996 ZX7R

I'd been chasing down this problem for a while, and thought I'd solved it, so went out for a ride (bike seemed to be running fine)..... was out for a couple of hours, and on the way home the bike decided to die on me.... I got under the seat to have a look and noticed that the fuel pump relay was red hot!.... The AA came along in due course and got the bike running, but we couldn't work out how.... I got the bike home and it died again.....

symptoms: When I turn on the ignition, both the neutral and oil lamps come on, but greatly dimmed; The fuel pump relay starts heating up (really quickly too!); Sometimes the fuel pump starts clicking; The bike does not start when I push the start switch. I've tried removing the relay and this sorts the problem out - the bike starts, but when I put it back in to avoid fuel starvation the bike dies again. There have been occasions when, with the relay removed, the fuel pump has obviously stuck open and the bike has run without it (see fuel pump clicking comment)..... Does anyone have a diagram of the internal workings of the relay (including wire colouring) - I'm not sure whether I'm getting power going in the wrong side - I've got about 4.8 volts on the red wire from the kill switch, 5 volts on the black wire between the ECU, coils, and fuel pump relay, and about 3.6 volts between the relay and fuel pump (without the start switch being depressed).... I've also got about 0.24 volts between the start switch and relay.... With the relay removed I've got 12 volts on the black wire, and 12 volts on the red wire... I've checked the ECU and other electrical items and they're all ok, and I'm sure I've isolated the problem to the fuel pump and relay....

Anyone got any ideas?....... this one has me utterly stumped...... I don't want to carryaround a supply of Relays, replacing them each time they blow.........[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 02-13-2007, 06:18 PM
Default RE: ZX7R Electrical Problems

why not replacing the fuel pump relay and see if the symptom goes away . or get a relay tester to check the original relay sounds like a contact is not releasing inside the relay. good luck

Old 02-13-2007, 07:37 PM

cheers mate...

I've tried replacing the relay - I thought that was the original problem... but it worked and then fried again!! [:@] och, I'll get to the bottom of the problem - I'm an engineer after all! anyway, the roads are pretty crappy round here at the moment (the British councils love spraying road salt everywhere!!), so I'm not too worried about riding.....

Old 02-13-2007, 08:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Maybe your fuel pump is bad, drawling high amp loads.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:59 PM

just about to go and find out - handy I've got a spare engine!!....... oh, the fun of being up to my nuts in motorbike!!..... I must be fuggin nuts!!.....

Old 02-13-2007, 09:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Good luck! Let us know what happens.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:06 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Low voltage will cause a higher amp draw also. Ohms law. So check voltage and amps. Bad contacts will also cause a higher amp draw. But was the amps on the fuel pump ok?

Old 02-14-2007, 04:47 PM

Well, I ripped it to bits last night.... got the fuel pump out and wired it up to test it..... first thing - the solenoid catch on the top failed to actuate...... second thing - smoke started issuing from it....... so I've got one on order... it was seriously fried!!!

hopefully that'll sort it!..... better get here by the weekend - me and the girlie are off to Bristol for Chinese New Year and its easier to get into town on the bikes..... might even catch a photo of her in biker gear!!

Old 02-17-2007, 10:11 PM

got it sorted - it was the fuel pump!! fitted the new one, got hte bike running, and was well happy........ then I looked under the bike and there was fuel p!ssing out of the pump...... bugger... got another pump on order - getting my money back for the first pump though, so not too bad!...... should be back on two wheels next week.....

Old 02-21-2007, 11:21 AM

it works!!!!!!!................... put the new fuel pump on last night and she burbled into life!!.... I'm back on two wheels..... I no longer have to suffer the ignominy of being the chairman of a bike club and turning up on a club night in my car!!.... Yaaaaay!!!

Quick Reply: ZX7R Electrical Problems