Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/general-tech-9/)
-   -   Use of Split-Fire Spark plugs in a 91 ZX11? (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/general-tech-9/use-split-fire-spark-plugs-91-zx11-15297/)

alarmman15613 09-05-2007 09:28 PM

Use of Split-Fire Spark plugs in a 91 ZX11?

Hello,
fellow riders! Has anyone had any experience with using Split-Fire brand spark plugs in their bike? I have a 1991 ZX1100C with a Muzzy 4 into1 exhaust and I hace thought about trying them out. They do make them to fit my bike. I 'm just looking for some feedback, positve or negative. Any replies would be appreciated.Thanks to all!

Dragone#19 09-05-2007 09:43 PM

RE: Use of Split-Fire Spark plugs in a 91 ZX11?

I have not tried them. I preferred the NGK brand. Not saying good or bad of the split fires just no experience with them by me or from the guys at the track that I know.

jeffzx9 09-06-2007 02:19 AM

I think someone re-ignites the spark plug thread about every 2 weeks, but that's OK.
Just a word of caution; make sure that whenever you go switching different brands of plugs, you do your homework on the heat ranges. If you find one particular plug that works well in your bike, stick with it. Just because the cross reference chart says a Split Fire is the same as an NGK, or a Bosch is the same as an Autolite, doesn't necessarily mean it's identical. (Ifthey areidentical, why are you switching around??) On the other hand, sometimes the cross-ref plug will work just a smidgen better than the OE plug, for this very reason.I'm not saying "don't do it;" I AM saying justrealize what you're doing, and why.

Dragone#19 09-06-2007 02:45 AM

ORIGINAL: jeffzx9

I think someone re-ignites the spark plug thread about every 2 weeks, but that's OK.
Just a word of caution; make sure that whenever you go switching different brands of plugs, you do your homework on the heat ranges. If you find one particular plug that works well in your bike, stick with it. Just because the cross reference chart says a Split Fire is the same as an NGK, or a Bosch is the same as an Autolite, doesn't necessarily mean it's identical. (Ifthey areidentical, why are you switching around??) On the other hand, sometimes the cross-ref plug will work just a smidgen better than the OE plug, for this very reason.I'm not saying "don't do it;" I AM saying justrealize what you're doing, and why.
Excellent point.

markmeinteil 09-06-2007 07:45 AM

Back when I worked for an auto parts store, we carried splitfire. However, I rarely ever sold them. I think I can remember warrantying out a set or two because of broken electrodes.

alarmman15613 09-08-2007 06:52 PM

Thanks for everybody's input. I still don't know if I'm going to try them or not. The NGk's work great, but I thought maybe the Split-Fires might give a little more kick! Regards to all