Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/general-tech-9/)
-   -   No spark (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/general-tech-9/no-spark-20831/)

batman 04-20-2008 10:38 PM

No spark

I got a 2000 ninja zx600 that was not running and needed to be put together. So i looked over the bike, all the wiring is decent looking, everything is connected that i can see but i have no spark. I pulled the plugs out and put them into the boot and cranked the motor, but i see no spark from the plugs. Can you check it this way like a car? I am new to bikes, but have worked on cars for years.

So i was wondering what comtrols the spark? Is there a control box, or computer of some sort, maybe a fues? I am still waiting for my shop manual to arrive.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanx

markmeinteil 04-20-2008 11:06 PM

RE: No spark

Though it could be many things, I once had a no-spark issue on an older Honda. Turned out to be the pick-up coil down at the crank that had gone bad. You can test the Ohm rating at the pick-up coil, but you have to know what resistance rating Kawasaki considers to be good. (Service manual would say.) Like I said, that's only one of many possibilities. There is an ignition control module for controlling spark, but I don't believe you would be able to test this yourself. Before doing anything though, keep it simple and check the obvious first. inspect your fuses, wiring, electrical connections etc.

For reference, you may want to post this in the ZX6 or general tech section instead of the DIY section to get more responses. DIY is for projects and how-to's. It is not really meant for technical help.

davehayward1 04-21-2008 01:05 AM

Afraid I can't help but I recommend you get aClymer Manual

They are excellent!

whitehendrix 04-21-2008 01:55 AM

yeah.. kinda like a car on troubleshooting..

can only be a few things on that bike.

coil packs, CDI, or trigger coil. thats it.. with no trigger coil (inside the cover at the crank) theres no signal telling the CDI to generate spark.

with no CDI, you'll have your (roughly) 620 ohmresistance(i think thatsthe number..) and your primary and secondary resistance values on your coil packs, but no spark signal.

no coils.. well, you get the idea..

good luck, and welcome to KF!

markmeinteil 04-21-2008 02:06 AM

You're the electrical master, Jimmy![8D];)

batman 04-21-2008 04:17 AM

thanx guys, after mess'n around all day i narrowed it down to either the ecu or the pick up coil. I tried testing the coil but not sure what it should read. I;ll have to look into that.

Do you know if maybe a cycle shop would be able to test the ecu, pick up, and coil packs?

markmeinteil 04-21-2008 05:06 AM

The pick up and coil packs any shop should be able to check. The ECM would likely need to be tested by a shop who is a Kawasaki dealer, or has the right equipment.

whitehendrix 04-21-2008 05:24 AM

thanks, mark!!!

honestly, the easiest way to test the CDI/ECU is to just plug another one in!!
the stealership will not (to my knowledge) have a bike emulator to fake the cdi into operation.
it CAN be made tho, but you gotta have a solid electronics background to make one.

the manual will outline a resistance chart, but i really don't trust them. i had a problem with my 7 i thought was CDI related.. tested it.. even got wrong, out-of-tolerance readings when testing it!! it wasn't CDI related at all.

i plugges another 7-R into the harness.. nothing.
i plugged my 6-E CDI into it (which WILL run the bike).. nothing.

i lost the 6V feed from the ignition switch. no CDI will work without that 6V feed.

for some reason, 620 ohms is popping into my head..i know it
should be between 600-700, but they outline a +/- 10-20% tolerance for those kinda things, since you're actually reaind resistance thru a coil, not a resistor.
the inductance of the coil will throw of a resistance reading slightly.

but as long as you have about 600 or so ohms from(assuming) the black/yellow (typically) to the black, since its an untapped coil, you should be good. theres no taps on the winding, and you will not get a reading from ground (the case or frame) to either wire. if you do, the coil is shorted to ground... replace it.

then, go do some wheelies.

keep us posted boss.

batman 04-21-2008 08:51 PM

Well I took the pick-up coil to the shop today and they said it was good reading an ohm of about 350, I did it with my own tester and was only getting around 250-300. But they said it should read between 200-400. So If it is good, I'm not sure what to check next. I have looked at all the coils and none of them spark, so i wouldn't think they all went bad at once, unless maybethe last owner shorted something out, or ran to much current. The shopsaid to check the exciter coil, but i don't recall seeing one when i took out the Pick-up coil. Unless its on the other side of the motor.

hmmmmmmmmmmm

traceylee1 07-19-2009 09:58 PM

No Spark

Hey I have a 1994 EX500 it had no spark. I found out it the the CDI box, the bikes compter box went out. Changed it and had spark again!