General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 05:07 PM
Default engine noise

Every time I take my W800 out for a spin I hear the engine make two kinds of noises. The dominant one is a lowish rumble, like every every motorenthusiast likes and there is a higher pitched ticking sound. At 50 k's ore more it starts to sound like a metal humming bee. It ‘s not that I’m worried, but I’m just curious as to what that sound can be. As soon as I let go of the throttle, the sound is gone. A soon as I open the throttle, the bee is back. The location is on the left side, probably where the injection is placed, so it sounds, but I'm not sure. When the motor is idling, the bee is gone.

Oh yeah, i have an original Kawawindscreen; if anybody is interested, I will sell it for 200 euro incl P&P europe (new 360 euro).

Old 05-14-2012, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

These pics help?
Is the noise a cam-type "tick" or more like a "buzz" as you describe? I would guess it's in the bevel driveline; perhaps a slight mis-alignment which is torque-sensitive (i.e. under throttle.) Just a wild guess, though.

BTW, sweet bike!!! Welcome to the forums!

Attached Thumbnails engine noise-20_05_2011_kawasaki_w800_10.jpg  

Last edited by jeffzx9; 05-14-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:47 PM

It's more a buzz-thing and rather high pitched. And certainly on the left side, so that rules out the bevel-driveline. It sounds more like some kind of servomotor. I hope that's an English word. Greetings from the Netherlands

Old 05-15-2012, 12:25 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

wow, at first I was thinking vintage until I looked up the new W. A real purty ride.

Review: 2011 Kawasaki W800 - Pipeburn - Purveyors of Classic Motorcycles, Cafe Racers & Custom motorbikes

Not sure on the noise issue. Check the carb airbox resonator?

Old 05-15-2012, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Yep; I realize the bevel is on the right. I guess I was referring to the end of the cam on the left side. The bevel setup puts a lot of torque on the 90 degree (upper right side) and wants to "push" the cam. I was wondering if the (left side) end of the cam could be suffering the effects of the "push" and the buzz is related to a loose or worn left-end bearing? (I think it's actually called the "float" adjustment.) Of course, if things were that far out of spec on the left end, they would be equally out of spec on the bevel, itself, and you would hear a nasty whine. I realize it's not a very plausible explanation, but I was concentrating on "things that go buzz" in a bevel drive motor.

Here's a great link for exploded views. Hope this helps.
2011 Kawasaki W800 Camshaft(s)/Bevel Gear Mototech Motorcycle Technology

Attached Thumbnails engine noise-camshaft-s-_bevel%2520gear.jpg  

Last edited by jeffzx9; 05-15-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:49 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ok jeff, my triple duper eye wear is at the shop. But I will have to look up the fiche now since I have no clue yet on this issue.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

(^You're gettin' old, dude....) Ha!
Click on the link and use the "magnifier."

Old 05-17-2012, 02:06 PM

Hi guys, thnx for thinking. My bike is at the dealer now and I will keep you posted. But the sound is realy more an sort of electrical buzz/humm than a whining noise. Anyway, I'll keep you posted.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:11 PM

Hi everybody,

my mechanic doesn’t think there’s anything wrong and it seems the sound belongs to the this engine. Nevertheless, my problem isn’t solved, because I can still hear it. Admittedly, I am a little picky when it comes to whining and buzzing noises. So I’m thinking of replacing the very civilised peashooterdampers/mufflers with something louder and darker so the buzz will disappear into the background. Can anybody give me some tips/hints? Kwak doesn't have to sound like a Harley, but with a bit more grunt, maybe the sound of the bee will disappear in the background.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:17 AM

Hi Edtheun,

I know this thread is pretty old, but I have just bought the 2015 Kawasaki W800. It's only done 1000 miles, but basically since I got it, it has made the exact noise you're describing.

It's an electronic buzzing sound coming from the left hand side, near the acceleration rocker, just below the tank.

I have aftermarket exhausts fitted, which are LOUD, and I can hear the noise over them which is seriously annoying on long distances.

What the hell is it!?

Quick Reply: engine noise