General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Big Time Overheat

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 01:09 PM
Default Big Time Overheat

I just bought my first bike a few days ago and it overheats like a B$^*& (ZX-7R, '97). I am planning to take it to a local bike shop in a few day but I just wanted to get some opinions on what other might think is wrong with it. Here's the things: It stays cool enough if I'm going, but once I stop the temp just keeps going up. It get's to the point where the coolant comes out of the bottom of the bike. I'm just wondering if this is normal? Is there some kind of overflow system or would it normally boil over into the reservoir like a car? If I'm right there must be a leak somewhere, maybe in the top hose.

Tonight I went out riding and it overheated when I had to slow down on the freeway due to road work. I pulled off and let it cool down. I filled some water into the reservoir and started back towards home. It over heated again so I fill the reservoir to the top this time, at which point it leaked a lot of the water out while I was sitting there. I made it home running it just under the red and now I'm kinda pissed, just wonder if anyone can help me figure out what's going on.

Thanks for any help.

Old 05-27-2005, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Big Time Overheat

Does the fan come on? Might have air in the system which would need to be bled. Could be the thermastat (sp) too.

Old 05-27-2005, 06:57 PM

I wonder if that thermostat is stuck closed. Bikes will get hot when sitting in traffic, but not to the point where it overflows like that. I say change the thermostat and flush the whole system out to start. Make sure to give it a good bleed too.

Old 05-28-2005, 05:32 PM

HEY ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF YOUR BIKE BEHIND THE FAIRING IS THE RADIATOR, JUST PUTTIN WATER IN THE RESIVOR WILL NOT FILL THE RADIATOR THE RESIVOR IS JUST FOR SHOW/ OVERFLOW IF YOU OVERFILL THE RESIVOR AND YOUR ENGINE OVERHEATS THA HOT *** FLUID WILL SCARE YOUR LEG PRETTY BAD. BUT BACK TO THE RADIATOR YOU GONNA HAVE TO TAKE THE FAIRING OFF TO GET TO THE RADIATOR CAP, THEN PUT SOME RADIATOR FLUID IN IT. JUST WATCH HOW MUCH YOUR RADIATOR IS EMPTY, THEN IF YOU GOT BOUT 15 BUCKS GO TO THIS SITE https://store.58cycle.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=76 AND GET THE 12oz BOTTLE OF Red Line Water Wetter Super Coolant IT WILL HAVE YOUR ENGINE RUNNING 20 DEGREEZ COOLER. I USE IT ON ME ZX6R AND ITS GREAT ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU ARE STUCK IN TRAFFIC AND YOUR ENGINE TEMP IS RISING LIKE HELL.

Old 05-29-2005, 09:51 AM

forgot all about that water wetter... will have to find me a bottle before summer really hits hard!!