General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 Ninja zx9 won't move after warming up to operating temp help

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 01:17 PM
Default 97 Ninja zx9 won't move after warming up to operating temp help

Just bought a bike with carb problems. Fixed the carbs, now that it's driveable iv discovered after warming up the bike doesn't want to go anymore. It will just cruise at around 5-10mph no matter what gear its in, and it can be in any gear with the clutch out & it won't even cut off. If I drive it while still cold it will move just fine up until it warms up.

I've checked clutch plates & springs they look fine, I'm suspecting the oil could be regular car out, I haven't put back together yet. But what if that's not the issue? I can't think of what else it might be. Iv still yet to check the clutch reservoir but any guidance is appreciated & needed. Thanks

Old 06-06-2019, 04:07 AM
Default Hope this helps

Are you getting irregular RPMs at idle? If so it could be a vacuum leak on one or more manifold / air intake boots.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by DavidNZ
Are you getting irregular RPMs at idle? If so it could be a vacuum leak on one or more manifold / air intake boots.
Yes it is but carbs hasn't been synched in which obviously could be it. Ended up replacing oil drove for 20 mins it was good. Then had trouble starting like bike was locked up. Pulled plugs found gas blowing out a couple cylinders. I'm thinking it was gas getting in the oil & friction discs didn't like the mixture when hot 🤔.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:23 PM
Default Good to know!

Originally Posted by Blackice2242
Yes it is but carbs hasn't been synched in which obviously could be it. Ended up replacing oil drove for 20 mins it was good. Then had trouble starting like bike was locked up. Pulled plugs found gas blowing out a couple cylinders. I'm thinking it was gas getting in the oil & friction discs didn't like the mixture when hot 🤔.

really good to know I'm having a similar issue now with my ZZR250 which I'm trying to figure out so will also check the friction discs on mine, thanks heaps!

Old 06-06-2019, 10:37 PM

Make sure you soak the friction discs in parts cleaner for at least a day & then again in the new oil you use. Im gonna use Amsoil but make sure the carbs are rebuilt and ready so you don't waste it. I'd probably do an extra oil change to help flush stuff out before putting in the last oil in.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:05 AM
Default Nice thank you!!

Originally Posted by Blackice2242
Make sure you soak the friction discs in parts cleaner for at least a day & then again in the new oil you use. Im gonna use Amsoil but make sure the carbs are rebuilt and ready so you don't waste it. I'd probably do an extra oil change to help flush stuff out before putting in the last oil in.

Nice thank you great advice!! Really appreciate it!!