General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 Kaw 1500 Vulcan 88 starting trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 06:24 PM
Default 96 Kaw 1500 Vulcan 88 starting trouble

HI all

I was just given my late uncles Kaw Vulcan and am trying to get it running.

Heres a little background that leads me to where I am today. The bike was not running around the time of my uncles death in 2007. I have no idea what problems he was having with it. After he passed my cousin took it to a shop and had about a grand of work put into it. Including cleaning the carbs. This was October of 2007, she rode it home from the shop, so as far as I know that was last time it ran. It sat for a couple more years and my cousin was moving and needed to move the bike so she tried to start it. So in the fall of 2011 my cousin put some gas in it and could not get it to start. She didnt do anything else to it and it sat till a few weeks ago when she said I could have it.

So here where I am now, I charged the battery up, so thats fine. The fuel petcock was leaking so I pulled the tank, replaced the petcock and all the fuel lines, I drained the tank completely of all old fuel, I checked the fuel filter and it is clear. I put new plugs in and I have the air filters off. I dont believe I am getting fuel at all. I can get it to start by spraying ether into the air intakes, as soon as the ether is gone it stalls out. I have pulled the plugs and they are clean as a whistle and dont smell like gas.

So is my assumption of fuel pump or clogged carbs most likely right?

Anything else I can try before I replace a fuel pump or have to pay somebody to pull the carbs? I kind of want to pull the carbs myself but they look like they are really a bitch to get to.

Is there a way to test the fuel pump?

Old 04-14-2012, 06:26 PM

I also have the receipt for all the work she had done to it in 07, so if any of that info would halp I could post it

Old 04-15-2012, 12:05 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Is there a way to test the fuel pump?
page 15-32 of the factory manual

1.6-2.3 psig pump pressure

The same pump pressures as the ZX and the same operation tests from my understanding.

Fuel pump internal resistance- bk to bl or bk/y= infinity, bk/y to bl is 20kohms.

The carbs will need to be pulled, cleaned, boots inspected, etc. You need to twist the carb set CW to remove it from the bike.

edit: Welcome to KF and moved to the tech section.