General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Tightening mirrors so they align correctly

Old 08-07-2018, 04:26 AM
Default Tightening mirrors so they align correctly

Hey all, first timer here!

I have had a 2009 KLX 250 SF for quite a couple of months now. About a week ago, I took the mirrors off because I was doing off-road only riding. For the life of me, I cannot get them to line up correctly.

There has to be a trick, they were perfect before I took them off. I like the stock mirrors a lot and don't plan on changing them out, any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:55 AM
1st Gear Member

I find the stems will either be straight across or angled slightly forward of the bars, to get the mirrors out in front of your view far enough to be easy to glance at them. Takes a bit of work to find the right place, but it has more to do with the ball joint for adjustment. If you don't know already, you thread the mirror shaft in, but not quite all the way. You want them to be able to be rotated forward and back as needed, it is not important to have it threaded all the way in. The bolts on the shaft, when tightened against the mirror mount locks the stem where you want it.

Here is a video on it. You will notice his mirror stem is slightly forward of the bar, mine are usually more than normal because I ride up front on the seat, old off road habits die slowly. He does a pretty good job, but you have to watch closely for the part where he mentions about bottoming out. HIs mirror was near perfect position when it bottomed out. Had it not rotated quite that far, he would have backed it out to the angle desired. He mentions it but really didn't show it. There are plenty of threads holding the mirror stem so backing out that turn won't affect anything. Adjustment points are purely subjective. Move the stem until you can get the angle and positioning of the mirror to suit you.

Last edited by klx678; 08-07-2018 at 12:01 PM.