General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1994 ZX6 Clunking and throttle lag

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 11:45 PM
Default 1994 ZX6 Clunking and throttle lag

Okay, so there’s a a few problems with my bike I bought only a week ago. At first, everything seemed to run fine. I then managed to break the clutch cable, and after replacing it, I get a loud clunking noise when I press the ignition in. I only got it to start after I messed with the rod that sticks into the crankcase, that the clutch cable is connected to. However, that only occurs when I cold start it. Once it’s n started once, there’s no problem.

A few days after that started happening, I did an oil change. The sight glass is mucked up and completely useless, but I’m confident I put in around the right amount. When I went to go start it, I of course had then clunking problem. Looking down into the crankcase from the oil fill hole, I noticed the gear in there has a hard time spinning. If I hold in the ignition long enough, it slowly starts to spin and then starts up.

This time, however, the engine is running super funny. It doesn’t sound like its running too rich or anything, but something is off. Also, there is now throttle lag which wasn’t previously not there. The rpm’s hardly rise until about 4K even when heavy on the throttle.

This is my first bike, so I have no clue what’s going on. The clunking seems like it could be the starter clutch, based off other forums. As for the engine running funny after an oil change, I have no idea. It doesn’t make sense that an oil change would cause more problems.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing either of these things to happen? They don’t seem to be related, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they were.