Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   General Motorcycle Discussion (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/general-motorcycle-discussion-66/)
-   -   What's the best bike for Beginners? (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/general-motorcycle-discussion-66/whats-best-bike-beginners-37689/)

Major Yozzie 04-12-2012 12:10 AM

What's the best bike for Beginners?

So I've wanted a bike for a long time and I'm finally in the position where I can both afford one and ride one without much worry from the parents. I'm looking to get a Kawasaki by this time next year, but my problem is I'm not sure which bike I should go with.

Right now I'm looking at a 2011 Ninja 250r, and that seems to be what most people recommend. Thing is I am not a huge fan of crotch rockets and would rather have something that allows me to sit more upright and carry some luggage around. That is why I've been looking at the 2011 Versys 650. It seems like a great bike for me because I want something that can be used for pretty much anything (long rides, commuting, etc) and all year round comfortably. There is a fairly big price difference considering the amount of money I make, so I would probably be able to get the Ninja 250r earlier than I would the Versys, but since it'd be in the winter I wouldn't be able to ride it very much.

The difference in power between the 250 and 650 does not really matter to me, I just want a good, decent starter bike, so I guess my question is is the Versys a good bike to start out with? I know it's all up to me and I could start out with pretty much any bike I wanted to, but if there are people who own the two bikes I would appreciate your opinion on them! Thanks

and I have also seen and dealt the Ninja 250 in person. It is a bike I wouldn't mind buying at all, but in the long run I think I would rather have something else and if so then it would be a waste of money in a way. If you guys think it's an amazing beginner bike or something though I would take that into consideration

Brieninsac 04-12-2012 01:46 AM

I don't think there's much of a difference in learning on a 250 or a 600 street bike. I think the real question is what type of riding are you going to do (i.e. commuting, weekend drives, getting dirty, etc.). Buy the type of bike that best suits your style.

BleednGreen68 04-12-2012 02:56 AM

Well you are definately goin in the right direction. Better than most people that start out on a 6r ninja or 10r ninja haha. Death wish waiting to happen. Yes the 250r is a GREAT starter bike. Its pretty much our number one seller. Only prob I see with it is that once you get used to it and ride it lots, you are gonna want more power for sure.

Are you going to be doin a lot of 70mph driving? It will def do it but the 250's rev really high. What about a klx250s?? You into the dual sport bikes? If you arent going to go offroad you can get the sf model which has the sportbike tires on it. Very nice bike and wont cost a lot if you dump it over since its a dirtbike.

The versys is also a great bike. You would be happy with it and since its got the bigger motor, you can hang onto that bike for yrs if you like the power. Have you looked at the 650 ninja? I like the ninja better than the versys cause I think the versys is ugly!

You into the cruiser bikes? Vulcans are great bikes as well but the 900 is the smallest you can get. Very comfortable!

Major Yozzie 04-12-2012 03:57 AM

No not interested in cruisers..... When I get the bike I don't think I'll be going too fast. I wouldn't go over 100mph haha but I would travel at 70-80 mph a lot, and that's why I think both the 650 Versys and Ninja 250r would be good for me.

I am more interested in the touring style of riding rather than speed that's why I like the Versys a lot. I think it's a great looking bike, but you are definitely not the person I've heard say it's ugly haha. The price and maneuverability of the Ninja 250 has really grown on me the last couple weeks and I'm starting to like it more than the Versys. I can't really see myself buying the 650 Ninja when the Versys is something more my style around that price/power range

Not really interested in dual purpose either... need something with bigger fuel tank and better fuel mileage, and i think they're ugly haha

jeffzx9 04-12-2012 03:11 PM

Welcome Major. "Best Beginner Bike" is almost as much fun as "Best Engine Oil."
At least HALF of the answer is dependent upon the new rider; age, maturity, environment, expense, etc. ANY bike is acceptable to learn on. Some bikes make you learn much faster than others. HOW fast depends a great deal on YOU.
Welcome to the forums. Let us know which bike you choose. Gear up; stay safe.

deej 04-12-2012 08:06 PM

Yeah I'm not a fan of the crotch rocket either, and I love my KLX, but the 1300 I got last year is between a crotch rocket and a cruiser. Gotta love it man!!!

MaverickAus 04-12-2012 08:39 PM

Versys is a great bike, I have test ridden one and I loved it. They have a great reputation
Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys Forum

ahnh666 04-13-2012 02:04 AM

versys...there is really clean one for sale in my area...$4,300...you rarely see people sell them after buying one....

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...IMG_3388-1.jpg

Versys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Dragone#19 04-13-2012 04:03 AM

The versys is ugly to me as well.

Are you a short inseamed rider?

You can still pick up the EX500's for a cheap ($2k area) daily cruiser. Still loving mine, enough comfort with an upright riding position. Not a power house, but has been a good in between ride from my old gen 250 and zx7 or the 10r. Good mileage and makes a good out of state weekend get away ride.

Welcome to KF and good luck on your decisions. As Jeff mentioned, everyone will have their opinions on the best ride. It is nice to look at what other riders have experienced and to view their opinions on the matter though. I have not rode the versys to form a good opinion on that ride. I have not gotten over the looks of it yet. lol

anotherone 04-14-2012 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Major Yozzie (Post 469811)
So I've wanted a bike for a long time and I'm finally in the position where I can both afford one and ride one without much worry from the parents. I'm looking to get a Kawasaki by this time next year, but my problem is I'm not sure which bike I should go with.

Right now I'm looking at a 2011 Ninja 250r, and that seems to be what most people recommend. Thing is I am not a huge fan of crotch rockets and would rather have something that allows me to sit more upright and carry some luggage around. That is why I've been looking at the 2011 Versys 650. It seems like a great bike for me because I want something that can be used for pretty much anything (long rides, commuting, etc) and all year round comfortably. There is a fairly big price difference considering the amount of money I make, so I would probably be able to get the Ninja 250r earlier than I would the Versys, but since it'd be in the winter I wouldn't be able to ride it very much.

The difference in power between the 250 and 650 does not really matter to me, I just want a good, decent starter bike, so I guess my question is is the Versys a good bike to start out with? I know it's all up to me and I could start out with pretty much any bike I wanted to, but if there are people who own the two bikes I would appreciate your opinion on them! Thanks

and I have also seen and dealt the Ninja 250 in person. It is a bike I wouldn't mind buying at all, but in the long run I think I would rather have something else and if so then it would be a waste of money in a way. If you guys think it's an amazing beginner bike or something though I would take that into consideration

I'm a Versys owner and love the bike. It is a little bit more top heavy than the Ninja 650 but you only notice this when you are not moving and balancing the bike at a stop. It handles very well and the high torque engine is better than the Ninja 650 version for street riding. If you are short (under 30-31inch inseam) though it may not be the ideal first bike as it will be hard to touch your feet to the ground. Otherwise I would say it is your best choice. Absolutely love mine. Try Kawasaki Versys if you have specific questions. Also especially where it is your first bike I highly recommend installing either Givi or SW Motech engine bars. They completely protect the bike in a tip over or slow speed low side and will pay for themselves the first time you drop your bike on it's side. Something pretty much all new riders do.

Then Ninja 500 is a great cheaper first bike but.... it is not the most comfortable of bikes and not great for long rides and is not as refined and does not handle as well as the much newer designed Versys.