General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

New to riding - Bike purchase questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Default New to riding - Bike purchase questions

Hey guys, I will soon be a first time "street legal" bike owner. I have been riding dirt bikes for years now, but i need/want something a bit more versatile.

I will be (assuming life allows it) purchasing a ninja 250r for my first bike. The reason I have landed on that bike in particular is that I love the price and the styling and the MPG rating. I am more than comfortable on street bikes as I have friends with 600's and I feel fine there, but for my first bike, I am going to start small.

Purchase questions:
1. Is the MSRP a fixed price, can I or should I try to haggle with the dealership for a better deal?
2. If so, what sort of deal should I expect
3. Like when buying a car, is there a consumer report that lists the dealer's purchase price along with a fair price I should ask for?
4. Any other information would be awesome!!

thanks guys and I look forward to frequenting these forums more!!

Old 09-15-2008, 02:05 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

welcome to KF. the MSRP is just a starting point you can haggle with the dealer for a lower price.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:17 PM
1st Gear Member

doggy is right,, and welcome to KF

Old 09-15-2008, 11:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't think the stealership's will haggle too much on the new 250's seeing as they are hard to come buy.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by hoedogg
welcome to KF. the MSRP is just a starting point you can haggle with the dealer for a lower price.

Originally Posted by JRock420
doggy is right,, and welcome to KF
I thought so, thanks guys

Originally Posted by KevyzToy
I don't think the stealership's will haggle too much on the new 250's seeing as they are hard to come buy.
I understand what you mean, I have been to the dealership a few times to drool on all the bikes and they only once, had one 250, and it was sold lol

I will try to find out some more information, but i am glad to hear that haggling is at least a card to play.

thanks for the info guys!!

Old 09-17-2008, 09:34 AM
1st Gear Member

What's worked for me is getting the lowest OTD price from the web, taking the print out to the dealer, and saying "I want to support my local dealer, so can you match this price?"

They'll often try to come close to it, especially if they have the bike in stock.

Very good choice for a first bike. Don't forget the riding gear and an MSF course.

Rob

Old 09-17-2008, 11:13 AM
1st Gear Member

you get them down

Old 09-17-2008, 12:49 PM
1st Gear Member

try your best to go start lower then the msrp. if not you can just say hey ill take the bike for x amount (being msrp) but no tax title shipping or freight fees. that saved me around 1200 on my 6.

if they wont say ok to the no tax title shipping or freight fees just say " its not my problem you guys don't build the bikes here"

Old 09-17-2008, 03:36 PM
1st Gear Member

i never thought about that fee thing...

good advice right thurr

Old 09-21-2008, 06:09 AM

I think you might want to go with at least a 600, seeig that you are familiar with dirt bikes.

Quick Reply: New to riding - Bike purchase questions