Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   General Motorcycle Discussion (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/general-motorcycle-discussion-66/)
-   -   I need some help on selecting a helmet (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/general-motorcycle-discussion-66/i-need-some-help-selecting-helmet-3467/)

shawn_460 04-19-2006 06:32 AM

I need some help on selecting a helmet

Any one know own a AGV helmet . How are they? I like the Ti-tech , xr2 and the stealth but I do not know any one that own's one. Those helmet's seem to come with a nice package like the anti fog shield the fully padding comes out and ect. so what the deal on this helmet. How are they against shoei and arai. It is a toss up between these helmet. What is B.S.I is it better than snell because this helmet is DOT and B.S.I

[IMG]local://upfiles/206/DA5B04D9BC554EDF95486D509F3029EB.jpg[/IMG]

Dragone#19 04-20-2006 06:55 AM

RE: I need some help on selecting a helmet

I have not tried those. I fortunately still wear the same Thema from 1993 era. (Fortunately meaning no crashes on the track to warrant me to buy a new one.) I liked the AGV fit and finish and is why I stayed with them. I do notice more wind noise with the same helmet though on the new ride in comparison to the other ride. Windscreen protection issue. I have had good luck with the AGV brands but am not able to really help you in your question.

MaverickAus 04-22-2006 12:17 PM

AGV, Arai and Shoei are all good brands.
Try all of them on and see what fits and is most comfy and what features you like the best, have fun :D

Remo 04-23-2006 05:27 PM

ORIGINAL: Dragone#19

I have not tried those. I fortunately still wear the same Thema from 1993 era. (Fortunately meaning no crashes on the track to warrant me to buy a new one.) I liked the AGV fit and finish and is why I stayed with them. I do notice more wind noise with the same helmet though on the new ride in comparison to the other ride. Windscreen protection issue. I have had good luck with the AGV brands but am not able to really help you in your question.

Fortunately? If I'm not mistaken....all manufactures recommend helmet replacement after 5 years due to deterioration. Even though you haven't crashed with it, I would say that because its for your head, this always warrants following those recommendations.

MAD KAW 04-23-2006 08:44 PM

agv is a great helmet.... i've never had one, but i have friends who does..... and they say the only complaint they have is that, on the bottom of chin area is so much lower that when they wear jackets or geat with big shoulder pads..... it makes it hard for them to turn their heads all the way from side to side.... but other then thats they love it..... and the B.S.I. is a new type of approvel that everyone is going by now....

50 Slider 04-24-2006 04:16 AM

I think that the AGV fits more like the Arai Quantums ( if that helps) meaning that the shell is a bit more oval shaped than a Shoei, which is good for my melon. The Shoei is a great helmet, but they have always put pressure on my forehead because of the round shape. I would try to go to a dealer to try some on, as that is the only way you'll know for sure what fit you like. I love my AGV (I have a Ti tech) the venting works great, but it's a noisy helmet once you get past 70mph.

Remo 04-25-2006 08:10 AM

this is info on BSI...its what europe uses

1. What is BSI?
a. BSI is one of the largest and most prestigious standards, quality assurance, inspection, testing and certification organizations in the world. Similar to the familiar UL Listing, the BSI offers testing and rating services for major manufactures with worldwide distribution interests. The BSI Inspectorate is a leading provider of inspection, analysis and testing services across the globe. A vital business within the BSI Group, BSI Inspectorate delivers confidence for buyers and sellers alike, as well as banks and governments involved in international trade the world over.

2. I heard that all of Europe has opted for the EC 22-05; does this mean that the BS 6658 Type A is no longer valid?
a. While a number of helmet manufacturers have opted for a single unifying standard for Europe (EC22-05) for economies of manufacture, BSI are still operating the Kitemark certification scheme for BS 6658 Type A, Type AF and Type B helmets and the helmets we import will continue to bear the prestigious BS 6658 Type A Kitemark.

3. You say that these helmets are .Batch Tested., what does this mean?
a. BSI testing is done in a "pre public release" fashion. When the manufacturer has produced a product "batch" of helmets, say 500 to 2000 units, and samples of that particular batch are sampled by a BSI representative and randomly tested at the BSI testing facilities - 5 for a production batch of 500, 13 for a batch of 501-1,200 and 20 for batches of 1,201-2000. Each production batch must be of the same model. Only after each of the helmets have passed a battery of specified tests are the BSI serialized decals then released for that specific batch and in that specific quantity

4. What happens if there is a performance failure during one of these tests?
a. Should any helmet fail any test, the entire batch is rejected and samples must be submitted for retest, following investigation of the problem and remedial action. This helps to insure that every helmet that could ultimately be worn by the end user came from a batch of helmets that was certified to comply with the standard. (Source . http://www.bsi-global.com/index.xalter )

5. How does this compare with Snell.s .post public release. testing?
a. With the Snell post public release testing program you find a random testing of helmets purchased off dealers shelves. If a helmet fails the random tests, the manufacturer is notified of the discrepancy and more random tests are performed. Should a manufacturer show repetitive failures, discussions are had between Snell and the manufacturer on ways to come back into compliance. Potentially, the manufacturer could loose their certification status. However, this sampling can be as low as four thousandth of one percent (.004%) of annual helmets sold for the higher volume manufacturers. In one example, only 16 helmets were tested of an approximate 400,000 helmets sold of one particular manufacturer in 2001 (Source . Ed Becker, Executive Director Snell Memorial Foundation: http://www.smf.org/). While this is within the .up to 2%. Snell states in their literature, it is quite obvious that in actuality, the BSI pre public release compliance testing is magnitudes more likely to catch defective helmets before they ever leave the factory floor, while the Snell system is simply much less likely to catch defective helmets or fraudulent manufacturers. The result can be helmets available to the riding public manufactured to comply with the Snell 2000 and DOT standards may not always do so. (Reference . National Highway Traffic Safety Administration . DOT Performance Compliance Test results: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testin...218/index.html) This is a critical safety issue.

6. In addition to pre-public release batch testing, what does the BSI require of manufacturers to ensure only high quality products are made available to the public?
a. After each helmet model and shell size has passed original specifications and compliance tests and awarded BS 6658 Type A approval, there is an annual re-certification, and quarterly factory inspections for quality control. No other standards available in the USA offer this level of quality control.

7. Some helmet manufactures state that their helmets pass the BSI 6658 Type A standard in addition to Snell. How can I be sure that the helmet I am buying is BSI 6658 Type A approved?
a. While it is common for manufacturers to build helmet models to meet different standards around the world, due to the unique specifications each standard dictates, there is no assurance that any one build for any particular model would be approved by more than one standard with out being tested to that standard; only helmets bearing the serialized BSI blue Kite Mark are BSI 6658 Type A approved. With out this label, there has been no pre public release batch testing by the BSI and as such the BSI will not recognize it as passing the standard.

8. What does the Type A mean and how does it differ from a non type A helmet?
a. The Type A designation means that it meets the more severe impact criteria that is required to be recognized as race approved by the FIM, AMA, FORMULA-USA, WERA etc. and all other major racing organizations and race clubs in the USA.

9. Is it true that Suomy BSI certified helmets are over 300 grams lighter than the Suomy helmet certified to the Snell standard and if so, why?
a. Yes! A BSI certified Suomy helmet might be as much as 300 grams lighter than it.s Snell counterpart (we manufacture OEM helmets for Ducati and Aprilia to the Snell standard). The difference is merited out of the variances between the two standards protocols. These testing protocols may vary in such ways as head form weight, falling mass, measurements such as the distance velocity is measured above the impact site, velocity at point of impact and drop heights. The significant deviation between Snell and the BSI Type A is in the second drop height, with Snell.s second drop being higher than BSI.s second drop (most experts will agree that the second impact drop height for Snell is not relevant to motorcycling but reflects the particular demands of auto racing where the driver.s head may impact a roll cage several times during a crash). This differentiation results in a lighter, less rigid outer shell requirement to pass the demanding BSI 6658 Type A test. This decrease in shell rigidity allows the helmet to work in concert with the EPS system (expanded polystyrene) to better mitigate energies experienced at speeds where the rigid shell of the Snell configuration can fall short, without compromising the fundamental energy management of much higher energy loads. A helmet that performs to the standard at the lightest possible weight reduces total pivoting mass, head deceleration and will tire rider less, thus increasing safety. In addition, lighter helmets are more likely to be worn and wearing one is the single critical factor in the prevention of and reduction in head injury. (Source . The HURT Report Summary, Line #45 - www.cs.wisc.edu/~john/vfr/hurt.html University Of Wisconsin).

10. If the BSI standard is so good, why not simply build the helmet to meet both the BSI 6658 Type A and Snell 2000 standard as well, and avoid any confusion?
a. As mentioned above, the major deviation between the two standards in found in the second drop height. This requirement forces the manufacturer to build a much stiffer outer shell to perform well in the Snell 2000 second drop impact tests. This stiffer shell requirement may also prevent the helmet from passing the BSI 6658 Type A standard, by not allowing the helmet to start absorbing energy until a much higher threshold. By not allowing the helmet to begin managing energy at the typical speeds and energies a rider is most likely to experience, the Snell 2000 is counter intuitive to the BSI 6658 Type A.

11. Wha

BigRig18Wheeler 04-25-2006 08:27 AM

wow!! That's a lot of info...lol

I learned something new.....thanx Remo :D

Remo 04-25-2006 08:30 AM

gotta love copy/paste [8D]

NinjaNeal 05-07-2006 02:29 AM

Motorcyclist did a great piece on helmet saftey and did a test. Great honest article, they lost some major advetising due to there findings. I couldn't find the exact month but it was in 2005. You will be surprised at there findings!