General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

I am a total noob dumb a$$

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 10:10 PM
DRH
Default I am a total noob dumb a$$

Well everyone keeps telling me that I will eventually drop the bike. And that sad day just came. Why didn't anybody tell me that it is much harder going slow? My first time ever in a parking lot didn't turn out so great. I had to make a slow sharp left turn from a stop, and I couldn't turn sharp enough. So instead of going over the curb and into the bushes I hit the breaks and dropped the bike at 1 mph. It broke the left turn signal and mirror off the bike. But what makes me feel worse is that about 20 people saw it happen. Including a cute girl in a car right next to me. When I got home I spent a half an hour doing nothing but slow turns in the street infront of my house, and I'm going to keep practicing that until I get very good at. Is there anything else I need to be aware of? If you guys have some advice about what to practice, or if you have had similar experiences, or even if you just want to call me a dumb ***, feel free to do so. I will take all input.

Old 02-17-2006, 10:24 PM
Default RE: I am a total noob dumb a$$

dumba$$... na, but, i bet it was damn funny. cept for you of course and, i feel your pain.

at stop lights don't put your feet down until you come to a complete stop... this helps to gain more control and confidence over your braking and balance and very low speeds.

remember at 1-2 mph... you really no longer need the rear brake and your feet can be off the pegs for an emergency or more balance... if your front wheel skids at that speed you or the bike is doing something wrong... or you shouldn't be trying to stop on an oil spot or riding in the snow.

Old 02-17-2006, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

hey bro.... welcome to the world of motorcycles.... now that you got your first fall out of the way, just keep in mind.... since your new at this sport, you will fall again... and from those falls, i hope you learn from them..... but just remember to gear up and ride safe.... YOU DUMB ***!!!!!!!!!!!!!! j/k..... oh and welcome to the forum.... enjoy your stay.... post some pics when you have the chance....

Old 02-17-2006, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Dont feel so bad man i got ya beat!. Only 2 people (including myself) saw me drop my bike, but it fell over into my buddies bike! putting my handlebar through his fairing and d!cking up my gas tank. Sounds like you have a good excuse to get some aftermarket mirrors and turn signals to clean the look of the bike up. Always look on the bright side man!! Oh and welcome to the forum. Something ya might want ot think about would be tking an MSF safety course. It was the best thing i ever did B4 i bought my bike and im going back to take the experienced rider course this summer.

Old 02-18-2006, 02:21 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

do a search for books by keith code. a twist of the wrist. it explains counter balence and slow speed manuvers. nice thing is it applies to street bikes but the tecneics can be carried into dirt bikes and also quads. i bought it thinking it was a book about racing and it turned out to be a great informational tool, cant beat that along with common sence.

Old 02-18-2006, 05:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Well now that you got that out of the way....get back on and ride some more

Old 02-18-2006, 05:16 AM

yeah man dont be so hard on your self. just get the practice, hopfully take the course and ride on. And the bike that 056r fell into, was mine, we all will and do make silly mistakes, just live and learn. I must say the worst part was the cute girl seeing it, but if she didnt come over to your rescue then it just wasnt meant to be. lol

Oh yeah, welcome, post some pics of the carnage if u get a chance.

Old 02-18-2006, 05:28 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: heffay

remember at 1-2 mph... you really no longer need the rear brake and your feet can be off the pegs for an emergency or more balance... if your front wheel skids at that speed you or the bike is doing something wrong... or you shouldn't be trying to stop on an oil spot or riding in the snow.

I disagree. At slower speeds is when you do use the rear brake. The front brake is what gives you trouble. At slower you actually turn the handlbars the direction you want to go, and using the front brake will make the bike go down.

A good exercise for going slow is ride your rear brake to keep your balance and use the throttle and clutch to keep moving.
I can go so slow that I'm almost not moving. Freaks people out to see me balanced going so slow.

Old 02-18-2006, 07:18 AM
1st Gear Member

i haven't had a fall yet, but my bike has fallen over.....twice[sm=boohoo.gif]
first time parked on a sideways incline the when i got off it fell. second time kickstand sunk in the dirt. wheels were on pavement, but didn't think the dirt was that soft
i've got to replace a turn signal and both hand levers. i've been practing low speed figure eights in a empty parking laught b/c thats why i have to do to actually get my licience. I'm going to take the msc but none are availabe yet. does anybody know if the carbon fiber hand levers on ebay are any good???

Old 02-18-2006, 10:13 PM

ORIGINAL: KevyzToy

I disagree. At slower speeds is when you do use the rear brake. The front brake is what gives you trouble. At slower you actually turn the handlbars the direction you want to go, and using the front brake will make the bike go down.

A good exercise for going slow is ride your rear brake to keep your balance and use the throttle and clutch to keep moving.
I can go so slow that I'm almost not moving. Freaks people out to see me balanced going so slow.
maybe you should read what i'm trying to say before you disagree... i was not suggesting to use the front brake at all times in all conditions. and yes, the rear brake is wonderful for tight cornering at slow speeds etc. but, he asked of other things to work on so i suggested something that helped me to gain control at low speeds (especially during coming to a stop at a light which is mainly what i was talking about) no need to turn the bars drastically there. and, let's face it... if a motorcyclist doesn't know how to use the front brake in EVERY situation (which could include opting not to use it) that rider is not a competent rider.

Quick Reply: I am a total noob dumb a$$